- Pet stairs for beds can help dogs with short legs, small dogs, elderly dogs, or dogs with mobility issues climb onto your bed without having to be physically lifted.
- Before purchasing pet stairs, you should measure the height from the floor to the top of the mattress to make sure the stairs aren’t too tall or too short.
- Pet stairs with soft treads typically have a hard foam frame that’s covered in fabric. Stairs with hard treads can be hard plastic or wood, and the steps are covered in some kind of tread to prevent your pet slipping.
Pet stairs for beds may be the most useful accessory you didn’t know you needed for your dog or cat. If your pet is small or has a long body and short legs like a corgi, dachshund, or munchkin cat, pet stairs will give them an added sense of independence. They will let your canine or feline pal get on – and off – your bed safely without your assistance.
If you have an ill, disabled, or elderly fur baby, pet stairs for your bed can greatly improve their quality of life and increase their self-confidence. You may also want to place a second flight of pet stairs next to the couch so your furry friend can easily join you for cuddles!
Quality pet stairs are available in a variety of styles, materials, and colors. One is sure to be the perfect match for your pet and for your décor.
In this article, we’ve rounded up the best pet stairs and provided criteria to help you make your selection.
A-Z-Animals op Picks For Pet Stairs for Bed
- Best Pet Supplies Foam Cat & Dog Stairs
- Petsfit Wooden Pet Stairs
- Features wide steps and safety side rails
- Rubber grippers on the bottom ensure that the steps will remain securely in place
- There is a cozy hiding place under the unit
- The three-step version is perfect for helping pets access tall beds
- Snoozer Scalloped Pet Ramp
- Accommodate pets that weigh up to 100 pounds
- Crafted from high-density polyurethane foam
- Covered in machine-washable micro-suede, available in 7 colors
- Liners are machine-washable
Choosing the Best Pet Stairs for Bed:
When choosing the best pet stairs for a bed, there are five factors that you need to consider: height, safety features, durability, design, and price. Here’s how to evaluate the best pet stairs for your dog or cat.
Clearly, your first consideration should be whether the staircase reaches the top of your mattress. If your bed is particularly tall, the staircase can be slightly shorter than your bed and your mattress can serve as the final “step.” One that’s taller than your bed would defeat the purpose.
To find the perfect height, measure the distance between the floor and the top of your mattress. Your pet stairs should be exactly that height or no more than one “step” shorter.
The ideal pet stairs should have a non-slip bottom that will keep the stairs in place when your pet climbs up and down. Other safety features should include side rails, which will make your pet feel more confident and secure, and treads that provide cushioning and traction for their claws.
Durability has to do with the materials used in construction and design elements intended to prolong product use. A wooden pet staircase will generally be more durable than one crafted from other materials. Features such as machine-washable and replaceable stair covers will also prolong the product’s life.
For the sake of this review, design has to do with details other than safety features, including the shape and form of the item, its color and pattern, and decorative elements. These design elements will determine whether the staircase will complement your home’s décor.
The design also has to do with functionality beyond allowing your pet to climb up and down. Such features include having a cozy hiding place under the stairs where your pup or kitty can retreat or foldability, which will allow you to store the stairs when they’re not in use.
Of course, your budget is the first thing to consider with regard to price. Pet stairs range from under $50 to over $200. The quality of the item is determined by the previous four factors – height, safety features, durability, and design. You should purchase the highest quality stairs within your budget.
Before you can choose the best pet stairs for bed for your dog or cat, you need to understand the different types that are available. The two main types are those with soft treads and those with hard treads. Both types have clear pros and cons.
- Pet stairs with soft treads – These staircases feature fabric-covered treads and are usually filled with rigid foam. They are cushiony and easy on pets’ paws. Many are removable and machine-washable for easy cleaning. The foam material may compact over time. If so, the foam itself, or the entire staircase, may need to be replaced. This makes this option less durable than pet stairs with hard treads.
- Pet stairs with hard treads – These staircases feature treads made of non-slip material secured to a hard surface, such as wood or plastic. The tread material is usually carpet or felt. Some can be removed for easy washing, others cannot. The underlying hard surface is more durable than those with soft treads.
Our Criteria and Experience: How We Chose the Best
In our experience, pet stairs can significantly improve a pet’s quality of life by providing increased mobility and independence. When compiling our list of recommendations for the best pet stairs, we researched various popular products, verified that the products were safe, durable, and functional, and finally consulted reviews from pet owners who had success or failure with the products.
- We put the foam dog and cat stairs at the top of our list because this product has met the needs of many pet owners at an affordable price. Many users liked that you can order replacement covers, and the product is sturdy and attractive. Some said that the steps were narrow, so not suitable for their dogs with mobility issues, and others found that the steps weren’t appropriate for larger dogs, even sliding on the floor, causing problems.
- Our #2 recommendation is admired by reviewers for it’s attractive wood design, and is a very sturdy product. Pets with mobility problems adapted well to this item and were able to get on and off the beds or furniture with relative ease. While it does have a grip to help with preventing sliding, some found that a non-slip mat was necessary when using these stairs on hardwood floors. We will say that these steps are also not highly recommended for large dogs.
- The #3 pet ramp is a popular item, and many customers testify to their pets feeling very comfortable going up and down on it. We advise, though, that you consider if your pet would do well with the scalloped design, as some pets did not feel comfortable with it in reviews. Also, the online manufacturer did not cover the cost of returning it online in several testimonials.
- Our #4 steps are very attractive and stay in place when used by dogs, even on hardwood floors. They also work very well for owners of large dogs. Some customers found the velcro-like felt that topped the stairs to be slippery, while others said it was hard to clean, as debris would attach to it.
#1 Overall Best Pet Stairs for Bed – Best Pet Supplies Pet Steps
Our choice for the best overall pet stairs for bed is Best Pet Supplies Pet Steps and Stairs with CertiPUR-US Certified Foam for Dogs and Cats. They’re crafted from durable, mattress-grade cushioning to relieve pressure on paws and joints. These USA-sourced foams are certified to be manufactured without ozone depleters, PDBW flame retardants, mercury, lead, and other substances that can be harmful to your pets.
Best Pet Supplies Pet Steps and Stairs feature an anti-slip bottom so your dog or cat can climb to their favorite spot securely. They’re available in three-step, four-step, and five-step configurations to easily match your furniture’s height. And they come in four stylish patterns and eight colors, one of which is sure to match your home’s décor!
These pet stairs come with a completely removable, machine-washable cover. If you change your décor, no problem! Replacement covers are available separately.
#2 Best Pet Steps for Tall Beds – Petsfit Wooden Pet Stairs
The three-step version of this product is perfect for helping pets access tall beds. And it’s built to handle pets that weigh up to 150 pounds.
This 22” x 17” x 20” pet wooden staircase comes in two colors: Espresso (dark brown) and white. It features wide steps and safety side rails so your pet can climb up and down with confidence. Rubber grippers on the bottom ensure that the steps will remain securely in place. Pets can access a cozy hiding place under the unit through the large holes on the sides.
It’s also available in a smaller, two-step size that’s 20.87” x 16.93” x 13.78”. This version can accommodate pets that weigh up to 100 pounds.
#3 Best Hybrid Stairs/Ramp – Snoozer Scalloped Pet Ramp
Is it a pet staircase? Is it a ramp? The Snoozer Scalloped Pet Ramp is the best of both!
This unique pet accessory comes in three sizes: Small (20″ x 21″ x 14″), Medium (25″ x 21″ x 17.5″), and Large (30″ x 21″ x 21″). Each size will accommodate pets that weigh up to 100 pounds.
In consideration of your pet’s safety, the Snoozer Scalloped Pet Ramp is crafted from high-density polyurethane foam that has not been treated with any chemicals. Because their foam is untreated, it will develop a golden hue over time. This color enrichment process is natural, and not indicative of prior use.
This hybrid pet stairs/ramp is covered in machine-washable micro-suede and is available in seven attractive colors. Details include over-locked stitching, which hides rugged brass zippers. That’s because their liners are made to be washer-friendly, just like their covers. When the time comes, you can replace the filling and make your Snoozer like- new again.
#4 Best Steps for Large Dogs – PetSafe CozyUp Folding Wood Pet Steps
The PetSafe CozyUp Folding Wood Pet Steps in Large is the best choice for large dogs. At 21.05” x 8.85” x 39.29”, these strong, durable, folding wooden steps are constructed to support dogs that weigh up to 200 pounds.
The PetSafe CozyUp Folding Wood Pet Steps feature no-slip carpet covers to keep your dog or cat from slipping and sliding when they use the steps to get on and off furniture. Raised side rails give your pet a sense of security. And carpeted treads provide traction so your pet’s paws can grip the steps for increased confidence.
You can fold these wooden steps, in a decorative cherry finish, flat and slip them under a piece of furniture for convenience.
They are also available in Small (18.5” x 14” x 14.5”) and Medium (24” x 16” x 20”).
Summary of the Best Pet Stairs for Bed
|1||Overall||Best Pet Supplies Pet Steps|
|2||Tall Beds||Petsfit Wooden Pet Stairs|
|3||Hybrid Stairs/Ramp||Snoozer Scalloped Pet Ramp|
|4||Large Dogs||PetSafe CozyUp Folding Wood Pet Steps|
- The Best Grain Free Dog Food: Reviewed for You If you’ve decided to put your dog on a grain free diet, read our review of the best grain free dog foods on the market.
- The 4 Best Herding Balls for Dogs: Reviewed for 2022 Herding balls are great tools to train your dog to herd cattle, or fun for play. Check out the best herding balls in our review.
- The 3 Best Dog Umbrellas: Reviewed for 2022 Singin’ in the Rain! Take your dog for a walk in the rain with one of the best 3 dog umbrellas!
The Best Pet Stairs for Bed for 2022 – Reviewed and Ranked FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What size pet steps do I need?
The optimal stair riser height (height of each step) should be no higher than the length of your pet’s legs plus two inches. This height will allow your dog or cat to move from one step to the next comfortably.
What types of pets benefit from having pet stairs?
Pets with arthritis, hip dysplasia, and other joint diseases may experience an enhanced quality of life and increased confidence from pet stairs. Puppies and kittens, breeds with long bodies and short legs, elderly pets, and those which are recovering from surgery may also benefit.
Are foam stairs good for dogs?
Foam stairs are gentle on aging and degenerating joints.
Thank you for reading! Have some feedback for us? Contact the AZ Animals editorial team.