Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Dog Food offers four highly rated recipes for Dachshunds in every stage of life. They’re specially formulated to meet the specific nutritional needs of these diminutive scent hounds of both standard and miniature varieties regardless of their coat type.
Royal Canin formulates their dog foods based on the premise that each breed has distinctive nutritional needs. That’s why they researched the unique nutritional needs of purebred dogs and developed their Breed Health Nutrition line. Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Dachshund includes recipes for puppies, adults, and seniors. It also has a canned variety for Dachshunds that prefer canned food.
- Royal Canin Dachshund Adult Dry Dog Food formulated for purebred Dachshunds 10 months and older
- Unique kibble shape for Dachshunds
- Fortified with Calcium and phosphorus for healthy joints, bones, and long backbone
- Protein content and L-carnitine for muscle support
Royal Canin Dachshund Food Benefits and Features
- Each variety is formulated to meet the nutritional needs of purebred Dachshunds at a particular stage in their life: puppy, adult, and senior
- The specially designed rounded-rectangle kibble is easy for Dachshunds to pick up with their long, pointy snouts
- Includes calcium and phosphorus to provide the special joint and bone support these short-limbed dogs with long backbones require
- Provides a precise combination of protein and L-carnitine for optimal muscle tone
- Highly digestible proteins combined with precise fiber content reduce stool volume and odor
Royal Canin Dachshund Food: Pros & Cons
|Specially formulated for the nutritional needs of dachshunds||Some dogs don’t enjoy the taste|
|Available in formulas for all three life stages – puppy, adult, and senior – as well as a canned variety||Is more expensive than some brands at $24.29 for a 2.5-pound bag|
|Supports immune system, joints and bones, and digestive health||Due to supply chain issues, some products may not be available when you’re ready to purchase them|
|Royal Canin has been creating science-based, premium pet food for 54 years||Some customers reported that their dogs gained weight while following the manufacturer’s feeding instructions|
Where is Royal Canin Dachshund Food Made?
Royal Canin’s worldwide headquarters are located in southern France. The facility is home to 180 cats and 160 dogs that have access to the grounds and interact with employees.
The company’s U.S. headquarters are in St. Charles, MO. Royal Canin USA manufactures their wet and dry pet foods in their plants in Missouri and South Dakota.
Royal Canin Dachshund Adult Dry Food Ingredients
Royal Canin’s kibbles include Chicken By-Product Meal. According to The Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO), by-products are “secondary products produced in addition to the principal product.” These products can be plant-based or animal-based.
While many companies claim that byproducts are inferior to other ingredients, Royal Canin says that they can provide many of the nutrients that dogs need, including protein, fat, minerals, and glucosamine. And liver byproducts can be an excellent source of iron, B vitamins (especially B12), and vitamin A.
In fact, the company says that the process of cooking, grinding, separating, and drying protein makes it much more concentrated and digestible.
Royal Canin includes animal proteins such as poultry, pork, and beef – including byproducts – in their recipes. They also incorporate plant proteins, which are a good source of highly digestible protein. Plant proteins also help to prevent cell damage and maintain your pet’s healthy skin and coat.
Fats and oils can provide energy and vitamins D and E. The company includes omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids like EPA and DHA to support skin and coat health.
Which Types of Dog is Royal Canin Dachshund Food Best Suited for?
Each Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Dachshund dry food is specially formulated to meet a Dachshund’s nutritional needs during a specific stage of life:
- Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Dachshund Puppy Dry Dog Food is formulated for puppies 10 months old and younger. It features an exclusive blend of antioxidants, including vitamin E, to support puppies’ immune systems.
- Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Dachshund Adult Dry Dog Food is for Dachshunds that are 10 months old or older. It includes special nutrients to support adult Dachshunds’ bones and joints (calcium and phosphorus) and muscle tone (highly digestible proteins).
- Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Dachshund Adult Loaf in Sauce Canned Dog Food is a wet pâté recipe designed for adult Dachshunds 10 months old and older. It features protein and L-carnitine for muscle tone and a combination of nutrients (glucosamine, chondroitin, EPA, and DHA) to support bone and joint health. It can be fed as a complete meal or mixed with Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Dachshund Adult Dry Dog Food for variety.
- Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Dachshund Adult 8+ Dry Dog Food meets the special nutritional needs of Dachshunds eight years old and above. This highly palatable and rehydratable kibble is designed to be mixed with warm water so senior dogs can chew it easily. Also, it contains nutrients and calories that have been adjusted to maintain maturing Dachshunds’ weight.
Royal Canin Dachshund Food Recalls
As of March 22, 2022, none of the food featured in this review has been recalled according to the FDA recall database.
Royal Canin Dachshund Food: Where to Buy
You can purchase Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Dachshund by following the links below:
- Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Dachshund Puppy Dry Dog Food
- Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Dachshund Adult Dry Dog Food
- Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Dachshund Adult Loaf in Sauce Canned Dog Food
- Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Dachshund Adult 8+ Dry Dog Food
Royal Canin Dachshund Dry Food Specs
Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Dachshund dry dog food (for all life stages) is available in 2.5 and 10-pound bags. Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Dachshund Adult Loaf in Sauce Canned Dog Food is available in convenient, pull-tab, single-serve cans.
Royal Canin uses the same suppliers to ensure consistent raw-product quality. They test each shipment before it is processed. And they conduct over half a million quality controls during the manufacturing process each year.
Dry kibble is good for up to two months when it’s stored in a dry, air-tight container. Unused portions of canned food should be stored in the refrigerator and used within five to seven days.
A 10-pound bag of Royal Canin Dachshund Adult Dry Dog Food retails for $53.99. Twenty-four 3-oz. cases of Royal Canin Dachshund Adult Loaf in Sauce Canned Dog Food retail for $57.36.
Royal Canin Dachshund Adult Dry Dog Food vs. Alpha Paw Adult Natural Dry Dog Food for Dachshunds
Royal Canin Dachshund Adult Dry Dog Food is formulated especially for adult Dachshunds. Alpha Paw Adult Natural Dry Dog Food for Dachshunds is crafted to meet the nutritional needs of Dachshunds at every stage of life, from puppy to senior. The first three ingredients in Royal Canin’s formula are Brewers Rice, Chicken By-Product Meal, Brown Rice. The first three ingredients in Alpha Paw’s recipe are Chicken, Chicken Meal, Sweet Potato. A 12-pound bag of Alpha Paw Adult Natural Dry Dog Food for Dachshunds retails for $59.99.
Royal Canin Dachshund: Bottom Line
Royal Canin has been creating science-based recipes for dogs for over 50 years. Their Dachshund-specific kibble recipes are designed to meet the unique nutritional needs of these charming little badger hounds at every stage of their life: puppy, adult, and senior. They also offer a canned variety for adult dogs that can be served alone or mixed with kibble.
Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Dachshund Review: Pros, Cons, Recalls FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Is Royal Canin good dog food for Dachshunds?
Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Dachshund is perfect for Dachshunds at every stage of life. That’s because the company’s research team tailors their foods to meet the unique nutritional needs of each breed. For example, their Dachshund-specific recipes include calcium and phosphorus in the precise quantity necessary to support the health of their long spines and tiny legs.
How many meals should a Dachshund puppy eat?
Dachshund puppies should eat three to four meals per day to supply continuous nutrition to their growing bodies.
Can Royal Canin be given dry?
Yes. There is no need to soak the kibble prior to feeding.
Thank you for reading! Have some feedback for us? Contact the AZ Animals editorial team.