|Best Overall||Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Dachshund Adult Dry Dog Food|
|Best Nutrition Free of Corn, Soy, and Wheat||Alpha Paw Natural Vitality Dachshund Food|
|Best Nutrition For Small Breeds||Wellness Small Breed Complete Health Adult Turkey & Oatmeal|
|Best For Weight Management||Hill’s Science Diet Adult Small & Mini Perfect Weight Dry Dog Food|
- The #1 Best Overall dog food for dachshunds is Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Dachshund Adult Dry Dog Food.
- Dachshunds are a distinctive looking breed with lots of personality and energy.
- They require regular exercise and a balanced diet to ensure that they lead a healthy and long life.
- When it comes to buying the best food for your dog we suggest you choose one that has protein, high fiber, vitamins and minerals.
There are countless breeds of dogs, but few are as easily recognizable as the dachshund. With their low silhouette and spunky attitude, it’s no wonder why they were among the top 10 most popular breeds in 2021.
What makes dachshunds so special?
- Originally bred to hunt badgers and other small tunneling animals in the 15th century, this tenacious and intelligent breed has an independent nature and lively spirit.
- The standard size is between 15-30 pounds while the miniature is around 12 pounds and under.
- You’ve probably seen they have different appearances as they come in three different types of coats: longhaired, wirehaired, and smooth. However, don’t let their small frame fool you, they have a big personality and plenty of energy!
- While they can be stubborn, they’re very loyal companions and make excellent watchdogs.
This unique breed has specific health concerns that can impact their quality of life. Of course, with the right knowledge and care, you can ensure that your furry best friend lives their best and healthiest life. Here are a few health concerns that are common amongst this breed:
- Unfortunately a quarter or more of dachshunds will experience problems with their back, due to their long frame and small legs, which can cause partial or even full paralysis.
- Often, if they don’t get enough exercise, they become less active. This results in a tendency to put on weight which then puts pressure on their spine.
- Additionally, their eyes and hips are also common areas that are prone to issues.
A great way to ensure your dachshunds stays active and fit is to take regular walks, enjoy daily playtime together, and maintain a healthy diet. For miniature dachshunds engage in at least 30 minutes of daily exercise and playtime. Standard dachshunds require an hour or more. You can ensure that they maintain a healthy weight and have plenty of energy for playtime all at once by feeding them food that was created specifically for this breed.
Keep in mind that the food you feed your dog becomes their fuel, so a healthy diet is essential! We’ve researched and compiled the best dog foods for dachshunds below so you can choose the finest nutrition for your pup with confidence.
Top Picks: The Best Food for Dachshunds Today
#1 Best Overall: Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition for Dachshunds
Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition for Dachshunds is the #1 Best Overall because it was created specifically for dachshunds from 10 months to eight years old. Since 1968, Royal Canin has been researching and formulating high-quality food for a pure breed dogs to meet their specific and unique needs.
This recipe includes phosphorus and calcium to protect your dog’s joints and bones. This will help to support the health of your dachshund’s petite limbs and long backbone. L-carnitine, which is a specific protein content that helps support and tone muscles, is also included.
Along with the texture and shape, the unique kibble allows them to easily pick up and chew their food. Furthermore, because this nutrition consists of highly digestible proteins and has specific fiber content promotes healthy stool which aids in optimum digestion.
Many satisfied dachshunds owners have said that they have seen positive changes in their pets health. Although this is a bit more expensive than other brands, when broken down the cost per day, the price seem very reasonable considering the overall benefits. Not surprisingly, cost was the number one complaint from reviewers.
Pros and Cons of Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition for Dachshunds
|This recipe was created specifically for dachshunds from 10 months to eight years old.||It’s expensive.|
|It includes phosphorus and calcium for bone and joint health and L-carnitine to support and tone muscles.|
|The kibble is designed to be easy for dachshunds to pick up and chew.|
|The formula includes highly digestible proteins and has a specific fiber content that promotes healthy stool and aids in optimum digestion.|
- Royal Canin Dachshund Adult Dry Dog Food formulated for purebred Dachshunds 10 months and older
- Unique kibble shape for Dachshunds
- Fortified with Calcium and phosphorus for healthy joints, bones, and long backbone
- Protein content and L-carnitine for muscle support
2. Best Recipe Free from Corn, Soy, and Wheat: Alpha Paw Natural Vitality Dachshund Food
Alpha Paw Natural Vitality is our top choice for corn-, soy-, and wheat-free dachshund dog food recipe. This veterinarian-approved formula includes only the highest-quality ingredients. The company is also sustainable, using only eco-friendly packaging. So you can feel good knowing that while you’re investing in your dog’s health you’re also helping support the environment as well.
This recipe focuses on protein and its first ingredient is chicken. Digestive health is very important for dachshunds, so probiotics are also added to support their digestive needs.
Another key ingredient is sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes provide one of the highest sources of fiber, and many dogs love their taste.
Additionally, to support joint health both turmeric and salmon oil are added. Lastly, due to dachshund’s small and narrow mouths, Alpha Paw designed their kibble to be easy to pick up and chew.
Many pet parents saw the difference in this tailor-made nutrition as it’s suitable for any age, even puppies! Although, the cost is more than other brands, feeding your pet this high-quality nutrition truly improves quality of life in your beloved companions.
Pros and Cons of Alpha Paw Natural Vitality Dachshund Food
|This veterinarian-approved dog food is formulated specifically for dachshunds of all ages (even puppies!) and is free from corn, soy, and wheat.||It’s expensive.|
|It contains only the highest-quality ingredients and the company is sustainable, using only eco-friendly packaging.|
|The first ingredient in this protein-centric recipe is chicken.|
|Probiotics are included to support digestive health.|
|Sweet potatoes provide fiber, plus many dogs love their flavor.|
|The recipe includes turmeric and salmon oil to support joint health.|
|The kibble is easy for dachshunds to pick up and chew.|
3. Best Nutrition for Small Breeds: Wellness Complete Health Dry Small Breed
You can rest assured that Wellness Complete Health Small Breed can easily fulfil your dachshund’s nutritional needs. Wellness sought to create superior pet nutrition by bringing decades of experience, a wealth of knowledge, and their collaboration with scientists, veterinarians, and animal experts together; to ensure their product meets the highest standard of quality and care. Their nutrition will address skin and coat issues, provide the energy your dog needs, and help maintain healthy body weight.
Protein is essential for repairing and sustaining cells and other tissues (such as bone, muscle, skin, and hair), which is why turkey is the number one ingredient. Also, protein provides an excellent source of calories which your dog needs to fuel their energy. Blueberries and spinach, which increase immune-cell function.
Since your dog is exposed to more toxins, (such as carbon monoxide, pesticides, cleaning products, etc.), their nutrition needs to support their immunity. Dachshunds are prone to back problems, so the omega-3 fatty acids from the salmon oil will help support strong bones and joints, as well as reduce inflammation. With so many carefully chosen ingredients your dachshund will receive all the support they need from Wellness Complete Health Small Breed.
Some reviewers reported that their dogs didn’t like this food. A few said that the kibble was too large for their small dogs.
Pros and Cons of Wellness Complete Health Dry Small Breed
|This recipe was developed by Wellness through collaboration with scientists, veterinarians, and animal experts.||Some buyers said that their dogs didn’t like this food.|
|It’s formulated to address skin and coat issues, provide energy, and help maintain healthy body weight.||A few reviewers reported that the kibble was too large for their small dogs.|
|Turkey is the first ingredient.|
|The recipe also includes blueberries and spinach for their antioxidants, which increase immune-cell function.|
|Omega-3 supports strong bones and joints and reduces inflammation.|
- Turkey is the nr 1 ingredient, supplying protein
- Contain blueberries and spinach for antioxidants
- Contain Omega 3 fatty acids for strong bones
- Help maintain a healthy weight
4. Best For Weight Management: Hill’s Science Diet Adult Small & Mini Perfect Weight
You want your dachshund to have a long and healthy life free of back pain and problems, and Hill’s Science Diet Adult Small & Mini Perfect Weight can help. If this breed doesn’t stay active they tend to put on weight. Fortunately, this small breed formula is clinically proven to help dogs attain and maintain a healthy body weight. And you can rest assured that Hill’s products are trusted by veterinarians worldwide.
The first ingredient is real chicken, which provides protein that’s vital for providing your dog with the amino acids it needs to build healthy muscles, cartilage, skin, and coat. Additionally, protein supports strong, lean muscles, which is especially important for small dog breeds.
Equally as important as what is included is what is not included, and that’s any chicken by-products or fillers. Instead, they’ve included only quality ingredients like brown rice, fruits, and vegetables.
Lastly, to provide optimum health benefits, antioxidants and vitamins have been added. Antioxidants are clinically proven to help support a healthy immune system.
A few reviewers said that their dogs refused to eat this food.
Pros and Cons of Hill’s Science Diet Adult Small & Mini Perfect Weight
|This veterinarian-recommended recipe is specially formulated to help small dogs attain and maintain a healthy body weight.||Some reviewers reported that their dogs wouldn’t eat this food.|
|The first ingredient is chicken, which helps to build and support strong, lean muscles, which is especially important for small dogs, as well as healthy cartilage, skin, and coat.|
|This dog food is free from chicken by-products or fillers. It only includes quality ingredients such as brown rice, fruits, and vegetable.|
|The formula is supplemented with antioxidants and vitamins.|
- Weight management very important for Dachshunds
- Trusted by veterinarians
- First ingredient is real chicken
- Includes brown rice, fruits, and vegetables
Tips for Choosing the Best Dog Food for Dachshunds
Feeding your dachshund high-quality nutrition not only helps support a healthy weight but also lean and strong muscles. You’ll want to read the ingredients in your dog’s food carefully. Some brands will use chicken by-products, which are the less desirable parts left over after processing. The high temperature from the rendering process strips away many of the natural proteins and enzymes. Avoid these by-products and look for real, whole ingredients instead.
|Veterinarian-approved choices available||N/A|
|Great tasting, natural ingredients||N/A|
|Contains no fillers, artificial preservatives, or meat by-products||N/A|
Protein and Fiber
The first ingredient in your dog’s food should be protein. The first ingredient comprises a majority of the recipe and has to provide the fuel your active pup needs. Chicken and turkey are excellent sources of protein and are flavors that many dogs love. Another equally important ingredient is fiber. Dachshunds can suffer from stomach issues and even gastroenteritis, which is inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract. A diet rich in fiber helps prevent the overgrowth of any bad bacteria in the gut and results in a happy stomach and healthy stool.
|Excellent source of calories||N/A|
|Promotes a healthy digestive system||N/A|
|Supports lean muscles, strong bones, and healthy skin and coat||N/A|
Vitamins and Minerals
Just like their human companions, dogs benefit from a diet that includes vitamins and minerals. They play a vital role in your dog’s body by helping build strong bones, maintaining a healthy coat and digestive system, as well as supporting their cognitive function as they age. Your dog may not receive all the nutrients they need on their own so choosing nutrition that includes vitamins and minerals is a great investment in the long-term health of your dog.
|Promotes a healthy digestive system||N/A|
|Supports a healthy immune system||N/A|
|Helps build strong bones and joints||N/A|
Dachshunds: Special Health Requirements
Skin and Coat
Dachshunds are susceptible to skin issues such as oily skin, dry and flaky skin, and flea allergy dermatitis. You’ll want to examine his coat and skin regularly for fleas or red patches. If you see that his skin is dry or cracked he’s most likely been itching. If left unchecked, skin issues can lead to a rash or open wound. Also, if his coat is oily this may be due to a skin condition. Managing your dog’s diet and incorporating organic and raw ingredients can also help reduce food allergens.
Dachshunds were bred to hunt small prey, so they need both mental and physical stimulation. If they don’t receive the regular exercise they need they’ll put on weight, which can have a serious impact on their health. Any additional weight puts pressure on their delicate joints and fragile back. Appeal to their instincts by going for walks, playing fetch with squeaky toys, or even giving them a dedicated digging spot if you have a yard.
Bone and Joint
Due to their long silhouette, a common issue for dachshund is hip dysplasia. This is when the joint of the hip joint isn’t formed properly and as a result, the hip will dislocate. Also, their knees are prone to patella luxation, where the kneecap is dislocated. Additionally, Intervertebral Disc Disease is a frequent problem. This occurs when the discs between the vertebrates in their spinal column begin to deteriorate. Avoid letting them jump off couches and make sure you and others know how to properly pick them up.
The A-Z-Animals’ Criteria for Choosing the Best Dog Food for Dachshunds
When it comes to choosing the best dog food for dachshunds we made sure that our standards were high. Your pets’ health is foremost concern for us and that’s why we judged the products based on the nutritional value, filler and fat content, special needs and the value for money. Here is the breakdown for each criteria:
- Nutritional Value: When it comes to nutrition the foods we have chosen each fulfils the protein, fiber, vitamins and mineral requirements for the dachshund breed. This ensures that you don’t have to compromise on the quality no matter which option you choose.
- Filler and Fat: Many dog food makers use fillers to make the quantity look more than it should be and that is quiet harmful for your pet’s health. Fillers and fats are two things that we have ensured that are not present in excess in the food we have selected for you.
- Special Needs: Dachshunds have specific needs that need to be fulfilled otherwise they may have joint issues, reduced lifespan, skin and coat issues. The food we chose needed to address those issues and provide complete nutrition and we have done exactly that.
- Value for the Money: We have also ensured that the products listed here provides all of the nutrition and health benefits and still be as affordable as possible. It is important to note that although some products might be available at cheaper price, however, the health issues and pain that your pet might face does not compare to a few saved dollars.
- Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Dachshund Review: Pros, Cons, Recalls — Learn more about why Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Dachshund is ideal for “sausage dogs.”
- 10 Incredible Dachshund Facts — Want to know facts about the dachshund breed that will amaze and amuse? Read this to find them out.
- What Were Dachshunds Bred For? — Find out the historical background of your beloved pet in this post.
- The 5 Best Types of Vegan Dog Food — Going vegan has spread to dogs as well. Find out how you can get your pet to go vegan.
The Best Dog Food for Dachshunds: Reviewed and Ranked by Our Experts FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What foods are dangerous for dachshunds to eat?
Dogs of any kind, not just dachshunds, should not eat:
- Cooked bones
For a comprehensive list, check out What Foods Can Dogs Eat Safely, and Which Are Dangerous? We recommend that you bookmark it on your computer’s browser for future reference.
What should I feed my dachshund that has a sensitive stomach?
If you believe that your dachshund has a sensitive stomach, first you need to determine the underlying cause. Consult your veterinarian, who will be able to help you pinpoint the issue.
Whatever the cause, it’s likely that your veterinarian will recommend a small dog food that includes probiotics and plenty of healthy fiber, such as the second choice on our list (above).
Thank you for reading! Have some feedback for us? Contact the AZ Animals editorial team.