- The #1 Best Overall product to keep your guinea pig healthy and entertained is the JanYoo Rabbit Chew Toys for Guinea Pigs.
- Guinea pigs are social animals but can become bored easily. Therefore, it’s important to keep them active and entertained to ensure they remain in the best of health.
- We’ve researched and reviewed a selection of treats and toys so that you can choose the perfect ones for your guinea pig.
Guinea pigs are sociable and intelligent. They make popular pets that children all around the world adore playing with. A downside of owning such a small and adorable pet is that they get bored just like any other animal and risk getting fat. That’s why your guinea pig requires plenty of stimulation to keep them happy and healthy.
However, it’s not just boredom that should be considered when it comes to looking after a guinea pig. As rodents, guinea pigs need to chew constantly to prevent their teeth from becoming too long. That’s why some of the best toys are ones that they can chew, with products made from wood being amongst the most highly rated due to their natural composition and durability.
The best thing about guinea pigs is that there are plenty of ways that you can provide them with the necessary entertainment, and you don’t need to break the bank to do it. There are a range of toys, treats, and chews on the market today, but searching for the perfect one can be a minefield. That’s why it’s important to consider exactly what your pet needs so that you can choose the right one. To help you narrow down your options we’ve selected a few of the best that we think might be perfect for your pet.
- JanYoo Rabbit Chew Toys for Guinea Pigs (7 Pack)
- Handmade, undyed 100% China fir and Schima superba sticks and toys
- Sweet fruity taste, organic, no pesticides, non-toxic
- Safe for chewing, promoting intestinal digestion health
- Helps grind down rodent teeth
- Kaytee Chew & Treat Toy Box For Guinea Pigs
- Contains 5 apple flavored chew toys
- Suitable for guinea pigs, rabbits or hamster/gerbils
- Safe for chewing to aid in teeth trimming
- 100% non-toxic food coloring
The Top Picks to Keep your Guinea Pig Healthy and Entertained
#1 Best Overall: JanYoo Rabbit Chew Toys for Guinea Pigs (7 pack)
Our selection for the best overall treat and toy to keep your guinea pig healthy and entertained is the JanYoo rabbit chew toys for guinea pigs (7 pack). If you’re looking for something to keep your guinea pigs entertained for hours on end then look no further than this pack of chews from JanYoo. We selected these as the best overall as they double up as both treats and toys.
With a variety of different shapes in each pack, your furry friend will never get bored, and with seven different chews they’re good value for money too. These chews are handmade from natural wood — China fir and Schima superba. As they are 100% natural they are undyed and completely free from toxins and pesticides, meaning that you don’t need to worry about your beloved pet chewing on anything nasty.
What’s really great about these chews is that they are an excellent for your guinea pigs teeth. We all know that rodents teeth never stop growing, but by providing your pet with these, they can grind their teeth down to maintain a healthy length themselves. Not only that, but these completely natural chews promote healthy digestion too! And you don’t need to worry about your pet not liking the taste either, as they are a tasty apple flavor.
While the benefits of these chews are many, we do have to be honest about the drawbacks. Some users have reported that particularly enthusiastic pets have simply pulled these chews apart, while others say that their eager pets have chewed through them quickly (although it could be argued that this points to them being really tasty!).
Pros and Cons of the JanYoo Rabbit Chew Toys for Guinea Pigs
|These toys are safe for chewing – promoting digestion while helping to grind down teeth.||Enthusiastic pets can sometimes pull these chews apart.|
|Made from undyed China fir, these toys are non-toxic and are completely free from pesticides.||Eager pets can chew through them quickly.|
2. Best Chews: Kaytee Chew & Treat Box for Guinea Pigs
We have selected the Kaytee Chew & Treat Box for Guinea Pigs as the best chews.
These chews come in a variety of shapes which are sure to keep your pet entertained. With five tasty apple-flavored chews these are great value for money. They contain 100% non-toxic food coloring which means that you can relax knowing that your guinea pig is completely safe while they are nibbling away.
One of the best features is that the unique shapes mean that your guinea pig isn’t just chewing one round-shaped stick. Instead, the design of them is perfect for your pet to grind down their teeth and keep them at a healthy length. Additionally, these chews are actually suitable for rabbits, gerbils, and hamsters too — meaning they’re a great choice if you have more than one pet.
However, the downside of these Kaytee chews is that several users have reported that the red coloring does run and stain easily. So take care not to put them on any easily damaged surfaces.
Pros and Cons of the Kaytee Chew & Treat Box for Guinea Pigs
|The apple-flavored chews are an excellent way to grind down teeth.||The red dye comes off easily and can stain.|
|These chews contain 100% non-toxic food coloring.|
|These treats and chews are also suitable for rabbits, hamsters, and gerbils.|
3. Best Treats: Kaytee Timothy Biscuits Baked Treat, Carrot
The best treats for guinea pigs are the Kaytee Timothy Biscuits Baked Treat. We’ve selected these treats because they contain no artificial flavors or colors and with their tasty carrot flavor they’re sure to have your pet begging for more.
The main ingredient is timothy hay which is perfect for guinea pigs who need plenty of roughage in their diet. Additionally, the crunchy, round shape is absolutely fantastic for them as it encourages chewing which is essential for maintaining good dental health. Despite this, these treats can sometimes be a bit large for the smallest pets, so you might need to break them in half for them.
Pros and Cons of the Kaytee Timothy Biscuit Baked Treats
|These timothy biscuits are carrot-flavored and contain no artificial colors or flavors.||They can be too large for smaller pets.|
|The round shape promotes chewing for good dental health.|
4. Best for Relaxation: Homeya Guinea Pig Pet Cage Hanging Hammock
Our selection as the best relaxation toy for your guinea pig is the Homeya Guinea Pig Pet Cage Hanging Hammock.
If you’re looking for something to keep your guinea pig happy and relaxed then this unique hammock is the perfect choice. The best feature and something that really impresses us is the reversible material. With soft fleece on one side and waterproof nylon on the other, your pet can be cozy during the cold winter months, while staying cool during the summer. It is available in nine different color choices and is also machine washable so you don’t have to worry about struggling to keep it clean.
With sturdy metal clips, this hammock is super easy to attach to the sides of a cage. And even if your guinea pig doesn’t want to use it as a hammock then they’re sure to enjoy hiding underneath it. Not only that, but jumping on and off it, or playing hide and seek with their friends is a great source of exercise!
With a 14”x14” design, this hammock is amply big enough for your guinea pig (or other small pet). However, you do need to ensure that it will fit your cage before buying it. The only other downside that users have reported is that some pets can chew through the straps.
Pros and Cons of the Homeya Guinea Pig Pet Cage Hanging Hammock
|The unique reversible design allows for soft fleece during the winter and cooler nylon during the summer.||Some pets can chew through the straps.|
|The strong metal clips provide a sturdy fastening to the cage.|
|Available in a nine different color choices.|
|This unique hammock design is perfect for other small pets – including hamsters, rabbits, and cats.|
Our Criteria: What to Look for in a Guinea Pig Treat or Toy
There are lots of ways to keep a guinea pig happy and healthy, but when it comes to their health the two main factors to consider are exercise and dental health. As rodents, guinea pigs have teeth that constantly grow throughout their lives. Therefore, some of the best ways to meet these demands is through toys or chews that they can gnaw on. While chewing on treats all day isn’t the best way to go about this, we have found several wooden products which are designed for your guinea pig to play with and chew on at the same time.
Furthermore, no one wants an overweight pet, but there are plenty of ways that you can encourage your guinea pig to move around more. However, if weight isn’t an issue then treats are always a good reward for your pet. You can even occasionally use treats to encourage them to exercise more! Check out the ideas below for more ways to keep your guinea pig entertained.
Guinea Pig Exercise
Caring for your cavy also involves looking out for its weight. There are fun exercises that help you discover even more techniques that teach you how to keep your guinea pig healthy and entertained.
- Place their cage in a place that has plenty of visibility. Guineas are curious and like to look around, primarily through the window.
- Let your guinea pig wander around in an optimized garden. Let them run around while monitoring them. However, make sure that the temperature doesn’t go beyond 80˚F (26˚C), to avoid potential hyperthermia issues. And be sure that the grass hasn’t been treated with pesticides or fertilizer.
- Remove all dangerous items from the living room and let the guinea pig run around and explore. Alternatively, you can create a play safe space out of a small cardboard box with some holes cut on the sides.
DIY Guinea Pig Toys
The best guinea pigs toys cover their most basic needs. From toys that satisfy their chewing instincts to those that offer mental stimulation and even their need to explore and exercise, the happiest guinea pigs are those who have enough toys to keep them occupied.
Those of you who feel crafty can also quickly build a toy. Here’s what you need to do:
- Create paper bags that your guinea pig can hide in. Design such a bag using a regular paper and making a few small holes that the pig can peak through. Cut the tube of the paper bag open to allow your tiny pig to run through the makeshift tunnel. Start by hiding a few treats in the tunnel to start the game.
- Crumple up a paper into a ball and let the guinea play when it gets out of the cage. The pig will enjoy the noise the paper makes.
- Tennis and ping pong balls are easy ways to keep your guinea up and running around the cage. They allow the cavy to entertain itself when you’re not around.
- Tie a small treat to a cord and drag it across the floor a bit faster than the speed of your running guinea pig. Don’t let it get stuck on the wire or chew parts of it. Guineas enjoy food hunts. Hide the treat somewhere, untie it and let the pig find it.
Guinea Pig Treats
Guinea pigs are so sociable that they even make good therapy animals. However, they also need rewards. Any pet enjoys treats, and guinea pigs also do. You can reward the cavy with a treat once in a while and also make sure their menu is diverse.
- Hang carrots or apples on strings around the cage to offer your guinea some healthy treats.
- Place the small treats in hard to reach areas to help them stand on hind legs to grab the gifts. This exercise is proper muscle stimulation.
- Think about surprises. The food smell engages guinea pigs to play and explore. Place a few small bits of carrots at the end of a cardboard tube or inside a paper bag. Let the cavy explore and discover where his or her favorite food is.
- Appletree wood is safe for the guinea pig. You shouldn’t build cages out of it as they love to chew them. However, if you add small wood pieces to the cage once in a while, you keep their teeth healthy.
Keeping your Guinea Pig Healthy and Entertained: Summary
Choosing the best toy or treat for your guinea pig can keep them healthy and entertained. By providing plenty of stimulation you can prevent them from becoming bored, while encouraging them to exercise helps to manage weight gain. However, you need to make sure you choose the right one for your pet. This product review will help you make a choice that will keep your guinea pig happy for a long time.
Our team hopes this articles has helped you find the perfect way to keep your guinea pig healthy and entertained. Check out these other articles we think might be helpful!
Here’s How to Keep Your Guinea Pig Healthy and Entertained FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
How much exercise do guinea pigs need per day?
Ideally, guinea pigs should have three to four hours of playtime outside of their cage every day. This doesn’t need to involve strenuous exercise though — simply allowing them the chance to roam around and explore is sufficient.
Is a hamster wheel a good toy for a guinea pig?
No, you should never allow your guinea pig to play on a hamster wheel as it can damage their spine.
Is any type of wood suitable for guinea pigs to chew?
No, not every type of wood is suitable for guinea pigs. Cedar and pine wood can be toxic to guineas, but hardwood such as oak and maple are safe. However, the best way to ensure the safety of your pet is to only buy toys and chews that are designed specifically for guinea pigs.
Do guinea pigs need hay every day?
Yes, plenty of fresh hay should always be provided for your guinea pig as it aids their digestion and helps to maintain their teeth. The best type of hay for guinea pigs is timothy hay.
Thank you for reading! Have some feedback for us? Contact the AZ Animals editorial team.