Guinea pigs are sociable and intelligent. They make popular pets that children all around the world adore playing with. A downside of owning such a small and adorable pet is that they get bored just like any other animal and risk getting fat. It’s easy to learn how to keep your guinea pig healthy and entertained only by following some basic rules.
Guinea pigs or Cavies need both human affection and entertainment. You can keep your little pig pet happy without emptying the nearest specialized store.
Guinea Pigs Toys
The best guinea pigs toys cover their most basic necessities. From toys that satisfy their chewing instincts to those that offer mental stimulation and even their need to explore and exercise, the happiest guinea pigs are those who have enough toys to keep them occupied.
Check out our recommendations below.
A-Z Animals Top Pick
- 🐰【Natural thicker wood】-We are committed to high-quality rabbit toys, first-class quality with excellent craftsmanship.They are made of natural wood(China fir, Schima superba),all dried by high temperature,hand-made,undyed,safe and chewable for teeth grinding.We strictly select wood, you can see the real grains of wood and bark from the product and a thicker and harder wood
- 🍏【Apple stick are a hit】-Pure natural apple sticks toys with sweet taste, rich in fruit acid,organic,no pesticides, non-toxic.They are safe to chew and promote intestinal digestion and stomach health.Every guinea pig or rabbit love chewing on bark,so the applewood sticks are the best part.Each package has sufficient weight, about 200 g / 0.44 lbs, these sticks could last you a month or two
- 🐭【Help teeth growth】-Rodent have no teeth roots, if they does not grind, the teeth will grow very long, even they will pierce the upper and lower jaws and even inflame.Our 7pcs wooden toys is very suitable for teeth grinding and chewing,they are important to keep her teeth from over growing.The natural woody fragrance and interesting shape will attract rabbit to chew,instead of biting your furniture
- 🐇【Bring a lot of fun】-Rabbit get bored easily,and they need either lots of affection or toys to bring out their best personalities.This toys and accessorie gives your small rodent the prefect opportunity to play and work out, interesting roller and sporty barbell toys to attract the attention of guinea pig,They will get many hours of fun out of these well constructed chew toy for cage
- 🐹【Packaged nicely】-The set comes with a reusable nicely bag ,it would make a cute gift for any hamster,rabbit,guinea pig,gerbil or chinchilla owner.Thicker natural wood and the chew toys all come packed in a heavy plastic zip bag, if you don't give them all the toys at once and this allows to easily store or replace them
A-Z Animals Recommended
- 1 package containing 5 chew toys
- Pre-packed to be species specific for; rabbits, guinea pigs or hamster/gerbils
- Combination of crunchy textures to help clean and trim teeth
- Ships in Frustration Free Packaging
A fun way to relax
- REVERSIBLE TWO SIDES SMALL PET HAMMOCK - Suitable for any seasons, waterproof nylon fabric side for hot weather, soft fleece side for cold weather. Offers a secure and comfortable spot for small pets to play sleep or rest in any seasons.
- GREAT GIFT FOR YOUR LOVELYPET - Comfy bed for your favorite pet! Comfortable hammock for Guinea Pig , Chinchilla , Ferrets , Rats , Degu , Gerbil , Hamster , Mouse , Rabbit , Bunnies, and other small pet animals. Cage hammock it's a great gift for your pet to make him/she happy.
- EASY TO ATTACH CRATE - Simply mount/attach the metal clips to the cage. Another option is to have it mounted under the bed or some chairs or table(please check under the bed/chair construction if its possible before purchase). Save precious floor space.
- DURABLE METAL HOOK- Equipped with high-quality hooks, rust-resistant,wear-resistant and firm.Extra strong holding straps supporting up to 10lbs.
- WASHING MACHINE AVAILABLE - We recommend hand washing with soap. Also washable in washing machine(Because of the metal hooks, please using a washing bag to protect your washing machine from damage.)
DIY Guinea Pig Toys
Those of you who feel crafty can also quickly build a toy. Here’s what you need to do:
- Create paper bags that your guinea pig can hide in. Design such a bag using a regular paper and making a few small holes that the pig can peak through. Cut the tube of the paper bag open to allow your tiny pig to run through the makeshift tunnel. Start by hiding a few treats in the tunnel to start the game.
- Crumple up a paper into a ball and let the guinea play when it gets out of the cage. The pig will enjoy the noise the paper makes.
- Use an old sock stuffed with clean animal bedding material. Tie the hose on one end and cut off the other until it looks like a pillow. The cavy will enjoy chewing it for minutes.
- Tennis and ping pong balls are easy ways to keep your guinea up and running around the cage. They allow the cavy to entertain itself when you’re not around.
- Tie a small treat to a cord and drag it across the floor a bit faster than the speed of your running guinea’s pig. Don’t let it get stuck on the wire or chew parts of it. Guineas enjoy food hunts. Hide the treat somewhere, untie it and let the pig find it.
Guinea Pig Treats
Guinea pigs are so sociable that they even make therapeutic animals. However, they also need rewards. Any pet enjoys treats, and guinea pigs also do. You can reward the cavy with a treat once in a while and also make sure their menu is diverse.
- Hang carrots or apples on strings around the cage to offer your guinea some healthy treats.
- Place the small treats in hard to reach areas to help them stand on hind legs to grab the gifts. This exercise is proper muscle stimulation.
- Think about surprises. The food smell engages guinea pigs to play and explore. Place a few small bits of carrots at the end of a cardboard tube or inside a paper bag. Let the cavy explore and discover where his or her favorite food is.
- Appletree wood is safe for the guinea pig. You shouldn’t build cages out of it as they love to chew them. However, if you add small wood pieces to the cage once in a while, you keep their teeth healthy.
If you’re looking for something ready to eat, check out our recommendations.
A-Z Animals Recommends
- Supports dental health through natural chewing activity
- Ideal for bonding and playtime
- Makes a great training aid
- Contains no artificial colors or flavors
- Provides added nutritional variety
Guinea Pig Exercise
Caring for the cavy also involves looking out for its weight. There are fun exercises that help you discover even more techniques that teach you how to keep your guinea pig healthy and entertained.
- Place the cage in a place that has plenty of visibility. Guineas are curious and look around, primarily through the window.
- Let the guinea pig wander around in an optimized garden. Let them run around while monitoring them. However, make sure that the temperature doesn’t go beyond 80˚F (26˚C), to avoid potential hyperthermia issues.
- Remove all dangerous items from the living room and let the cavy run around and explore. Alternatively, you can create a play safe space out of a small cardboard box with some holes cut on the sides.
The classical exercise wheel is also essential for your guinea pig. Exercising for as long as they feel like it keeps them in shape and helps you avoid damaging their spines.
A-Z Animals Recommends
How to Keep Your Guinea Pig Healthy and Entertained
So, how to keep your guinea pig healthy and entertained? You only need to provide them with joy and activities. Other said you reward them with the reasons why you also like them. You should nurture them with affection, companionship and – of course – treats.
Guinea pigs are adorable, curious, intelligent and quick. You enjoy petting their fur and watching them chase a favorite treat. Make a routine out of playing with the cavy and make sure it stays happy!
Last update on 2021-12-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API