Toto from "The Wizard of Oz" was a female Cairn Terrier named Terry.
Cairn Terrier Scientific Classification
- Scientific Name
- Canis Lupus
Cairn Terrier Conservation Status
Cairn Terrier Locations
Cairn Terrier Facts
Cairn Terrier as a Pet:
- General Health
- Energy Level
- Tendency to Chew
- Family and kid friendliness
- Yappiness / Barking
- Separation Anxiety
- Preferred Temperature
- Average climate
- Exercise Needs
- Friendly With Other Dogs
- Pure bred cost to own
- Dog group
- Male weight
- 14-14 lbs
- Female weight
- 13-13 lbs
This post may contain affiliate links to our partners like Chewy, Amazon, and others. Purchasing through these helps us further the A-Z Animals mission to educate about the world's species..
The Cairn Terrier existed long before 1909. It is that year, breeders brought them to the United Kingdom named then Short-haired Skye Terriers. Because of opposition from Skye Terrier breeders, the original name for this breed was not acceptable to the Kennel Club. Cairn Terriers was suggested and has stuck ever since.
See all of our expert product reviews.
Cairn Terriers are small dogs with a weatherproof outer coat that ranges in colors from red, black, cream, or brindled. This breed is hypoallergenic and sheds very little. They have a fearless and assertive temperament and get along well with other dogs if properly trained. Cairn Terriers are commonly left-pawed. This unusual characteristic has also been correlated to strong performance in scent related goals like ratting and tracking.
Owning A Cairn Terrier: 3 Pros And Cons
|Hypoallergenic: These dogs don’t shed much, so you won’t have to worry about pet hair everywhere.||Stubbornness: Getting a Cairn Terrier to listen is a job within itself. These are very stubborn dogs.|
|Pet Friendly: Unlike most terriers, the Cairn Terrier is willingly more friendly with other pets.||Barking: This terrier breed is very sassy and scrappy. Be prepared for a lot of barking.|
|Excellent watchdog: These dogs will alert you when any activity is going on. Not that they’ll rescue you from an intruder, but they will alert you. They bark at everything and nothing at all.||Potential Health Problems: Joint problems, epilepsy, and cataracts are a few health problems Cairn Terriers are prone to have.|
Cairn Terrier Size And Weight
The Cairn Terrier is a small dog. Dictated by breed standards, male terrier’s adult weight reach 14 pounds, while females grow to be 13 pounds. Several factors can change the weight of the breed norm, such as:
- Lack of exercise
Both male and female from the chest to where the body meets the tail are 15 inches long. Males are 10 inches tall, while females are 9 ½ inches tall.
Health and Entertainment for your Cairn Terrier
- The Best Wet Food for Senior Dogs for 2022
- The Best Dog Food for Labrador Retrievers for 2022 — (Senior, Puppy, and Adult)
- These Are the Best Probiotics for Dogs in 2022 (They Actually Work)
- The Best Dog Food for Small Dogs (Puppy, Adult, Senior) for 2022 – Reviewed and Ranked
- We Found the Best Dog Food for Large Breed Puppies for 2022
See all of our expert product reviews.
|Male height:||10 inches|
|Female height:||9 1/2 inches|
|Male weight:||14 pounds|
|Female weight:||13 pounds|
Cairn Terrier Common Health Issues
Before contacting breeders to buy a Cairn Terrier puppy, there are some health issues you need to understand. Some of the diseases in this breed are hereditary. Not all illnesses are high-risk. Some are environmental illnesses, and owners can prevent them with proper care and attention.
Cataracts in Cairn Terriers are prevalent. Cataracts mean that your dog’s eye lenses are unhealthy and unable to focus light on the retina. Veterinarians recommend a yearly CAER examination.
Allergies are second on the list. The three forms of allergies are inhalant, contact, and food. Most of these allergies are either seasonal or chronic. Because of the side effects, Glucocorticoids should be used as a last resort to treat your terrier’s condition.
Heart defects occur in every pure-bred breed. Your puppy examination at six weeks by a veterinarian helps to detect any congenital heart dangers. Although predominant diseases aren’t associated with Cairns, murmurs do occur.
To summarize, the common health issues in Cairn Terriers are:
- Heart defects
Cairn Terrier Temperament And Behavior
Cairn Terriers are outgoing and happy dogs. They have great personalities and are well behaved. They are fearless and brilliant. Compared to other breeds, Cairn is more independent. Taking this dog hiking, camping, or on journeys where they can explore is heaven to them. This breed is very observant. No need to worry; Cairn Terriers can be trusted around your children as well.
Although they are not aggressive towards their family members, they are very stubborn. To avoid this behavior, training them early in their life is essential.
How To Take Care Of A Cairn Terrier
A Cairn Terrier is cute as a puppy but even more adorable, fully grown. To ensure your pet is properly cared for, satisfying their basic needs and regular training are all apart of caring for your Cairn.
The Best Dog Food for Cairn Terriers
Feeding your terrier is easy. These dogs only need a small portion of quality food to remain happy and healthy. This breed is prone to food allergies, so consider a limited ingredient diet of dog food optimized for allergy control.
Once you choose high-quality dog food for your terrier, knowing what food allergies your pup has are next. Additives like corn, wheat, and soy can trigger allergies.
Choose quality food that has meat as one of the first ingredients. Avoid foods with BHA & BHT. These are synthetic preservatives.
Feeding your pet between 1/2 and 2/3 cups of food is enough for the whole day. Feed your Cairn twice a day. Also, change the water bowl daily. When Cairns have an empty stomach, they may vomit. Feed your dog too much, and they may become obese.
Considering the breed’s individual nutritional needs, A-Z Animals says the best dog food for Cairn Terriers is Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet | Small-Breed Adult Grain-Free Dry Dog Food.
This dog food excludes grains, the usual allergy-inducing suspects. Additionally, there are no legumes such as peas and lentils, to avoid triggering any heart problems in this breed. Instead, there’s quality chicken, beef, salmon, or duck protein with taurine for heart health.
Check Chewy and Amazon for this product.
- Dog food with real salmon, sweet potato, and canola oil
- Balanced nutrition for healthy bones, heart, digestion, skin, and teeth
- Great for dogs with sensitive stomachs or allergies
- 12lb bag
Maintenance And Grooming
Cairn Terriers don’t shed. Once your pup’s hair dies, it stays in the follicle. If you decide to groom your terrier, rolling the coat will keep the coat healthy. Rolling the coat can be done by hand or with a grooming tool.
Opting to have someone else do it may be best. Contacting a professional groomer is a good idea to ensure experts execute the technique correctly.
Rolling the coat should be done once a month unless your terrier is a show dog.
Training Cairn Terriers is easy because they’re lively, intelligent, and loyal. The most challenging behavior to train may be getting your pet not to bark. Some say Cairn Terriers are unreasonable, but with the right techniques, it’s reasonably easy.
Cairn Terriers need lots of exercises to fit their active lives. Taking them walking twice a day for 20-30 minutes keeps them mentally and physically healthy.
This breed is naturally curious so keep your pup on a leash. If not, Cairns run off to explore. Only take the leash off in enclosed areas where they can’t escape.
Playing catch, going for runs, and long/short walks are all excellent ways to keep your Cairn Terrier active. Overall, try to mix up your exercise regimen to give your pup new challenges.
Because Cairn Terriers are so small, they’ll quickly adjust to living in an apartment. The best setting for a Cairn Terrier is a home full of love.
Cairn Terrier Puppies
Cairn Terrier puppy development spans one year and four months from birth to maturity. Don’t exercise your puppy too hard before eight months. The diet needed for your pup should include:
- Omega fatty acids
- Animal proteins
To maintain long-term health, these are the nutrients your dog needs. At eight months, make a transition to adult food by mixing adult and puppy formula. When you mix the formulas, it gives the Cairn a chance to get used to eating adult food.
Cairn Terrier And Children
Some people say that a Cairn Terrier shouldn’t be in homes with small children, while some owners say Cairn Terriers naturally love little children. If your children are well behaved, your pets will usually be well behaved.
One suggestion for the safety of your children and Cairn Terrier is never to leave them alone together. You don’t want to have to rescue your child from your Cairn or your Cairn from your child. Overall, Cairn Terriers make excellent family pets.
Dogs Similar To Cairn Terriers
- Bedlington Terrier: Like Cairn Terriers, Bedlington Terriers have a bold and confident temperament. Due to them being hyperactive, train your pet at an early age. These dogs are highly active and intelligent.
- Bolognese Dog: Like Cairn Terriers, Bolognese Dogs are small in size. They’re typically ten to twelve inches tall and weigh between five and a half and nine pounds. They’re hypoallergenic and make great family dogs.
- Chihuahua: Besides being a small dog, the Chihuahua has similar characteristics to a Cairn Terrier. They both share huge personalities, and the Chihuahua loves being around its family and loved ones. They’re very loyal and feisty like Cairns. Despite their small frame, Chihuahuas make excellent guard dogs. Some breeders do a Cairn and Chihuahua mix. A Cairn and Chihuahua mix is called a Toxirn. The Cairn and Chihuahua mix combine the traits of both dogs. A loving lap dog mixed with a working dog.
Popular Names For Cairn Terriers
Popular names for Cairn Terriers are:
Famous Cairn Terriers
Throughout history, this breed has had some star power. The most notable Cairn is Terry, who played Toto in the Wizard of Oz. Liza Minelli may be the most famous person to own a Cairn. Growing up, Liza had a Cairn Terrier named Lily. The love she had for her dog came from Judy Garland, her mother. Remember Terry played Toto and Judy Garland played Dorothy.View all 193 animals that start with C
Cairn Terrier FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Are Cairn Terriers herbivores, carnivores, or omnivores?
Cairn Terriers are Omnivores, meaning they eat both plants and other animals.
What Kingdom do Cairn Terriers belong to?
Cairn Terriers belong to the Kingdom Animalia.
What class do Cairn Terriers belong to?
Cairn Terriers belong to the class Mammalia.
What phylum to Cairn Terriers belong to?
Cairn Terriers belong to the phylum Chordata.
What family do Cairn Terriers belong to?
Cairn Terriers belong to the family Canidae.
What order do Cairn Terriers belong to?
Cairn Terriers belong to the order Carnivora.
What genus do Cairn Terriers belong to?
Cairn Terriers belong to the genus Canis.
What type of covering do Cairn Terriers have?
Cairn Terriers are covered in Hair.
What is an interesting fact about Cairn Terriers?
Cairn Terriers are intelligent, lively, and strong!
What is the scientific name for the Cairn Terrier?
The scientific name for the Cairn Terrier is Canis Lupus.
What is the lifespan of a Cairn Terrier?
Cairn Terriers can live for 14 years.
How do you groom a Cairn Terrier?
The Cairn Terrier does not get shaved. Brush your pet’s coat to remove tangles and dead hair. After brushing, use a technique called Rolling the Coat.
Are Cairn Terriers good pets?
Cairns are excellent family dogs. For pet lovers, they’re ideal. What makes this breed a good family dog is they’re children-friendly, great companions, and affectionate.
How much do Cairn Terriers cost?
On average, Cairn puppies cost between $350-$800. The price is dependant on:
Quality of Cairn
The price for a Cairn Terrier over a year old is between $100-$500. If the dog is show quality, look to spend $1,000. If those prices are too high, try going to a rescue group where prices are lower.
Are Cairn Terriers cuddly?
No. Because they love to stay on the go, Cairn Terriers aren’t particularly cuddly.
Do Cairn Terriers shed?
Yes, they do shed. All dog breeds do, but because the Cairn is hypoallergenic, it sheds minimally.
Is Cairn Terriers good with kids?
Cairn Terriers are excellent with children. They are fun-loving and energetic. These qualities make them a superb playmate for kids.
What are the key differences between West Highland Terriers and Cairn Terriers?
The key differences between West Highland Terriers and Cairn Terriers are their weight, color, and personality.
What are the key differences between cairn terriers and Norwich terriers?
The key differences between cairn terriers and Norwich terriers include size, color variations, coat textures, and body proportion.
Thank you for reading! Have some feedback for us? Contact the AZ Animals editorial team.
- wikidepdia.com, Available here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairn_Terrier
- dogell.com, Available here: https://dogell.com/en/dog-breed/cairn-terrier
- yourbredpuppy.com, Available here: https://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/cairnterriers.html
- trendingbreeds.com, Available here: https://www.trendingbreeds.com/cairn-terrier-size/
- cairnterrierhealth.org, Available here: https://www.cairnterrierhealth.org/health-topics
- doglime.com, Available here: https://doglime.com/cairn-terrier-behavior/#:~:text=Cairn%20Terrier%20Temperament%20and%20Personality.%20Cairn%20is%20a,Terrier%20is%20also%20tough%2C%20assertive%2C%20and%20observant%20breed.
- wikihow.pet, Available here: https://www.wikihow.pet/Care-for-a-Cairn-Terrier#:~:text=Method%201.%201%201.%20Get%20a%20crate%20for,as%20well%20as%20a%20softer%20...%20More%20items
- wikihow.com, Available here: https://www.wikihow.com/Groom-a-Cairn-Terrier
- wagwalking.com, Available here: https://wagwalking.com/training/not-bark-2
- canna-pet.com, Available here: https://canna-pet.com/breed/cairn-terrier/
- dog-learn.com, Available here: https://www.dog-learn.com/dog-breeds/cairn-terrier/care
- cairnterriercollectibles.com, Available here: https://cairnterriercollectibles.com/blogs/news/are-cairn-terriers-good-with-children
- dognamed.com, Available here: https://www.dognamed.com/names/cairn-terrier-names#:~:text=Cairn%20Terriers%20originated%20from%20the%20Highlands%20of%20Scotland.,names.%20Female%20favorites%20include%20Kirstin%2C%20Maisie%2C%20and%20Sheona.