September 22, 2020
AZ Animals Staff
Maine Coon Facts:
Average Litter Size: 5
Slogan: Folklore says it's half cat, half raccoon!
Maine Coon Physical Characteristics:Colour: Blue, Lilac, Fawn, Cream, Brown, Black, Golden, Ginger
The Maine Coon cat is native to the Maine area of North America but it is thought to have derived from an American wild cat rather than another breed of domestic cat.
The Maine folklore is that the Maine Coon cat is in fact half cat and half raccoon in origin, but it is more commonly thought to be closely related to the North American bobcat.
The Maine Coon typically has long fur although, many types that existent in Europe have shorter hair and are thought to be related to the wilder European farm cats.
The Maine Coon is a popular domestic breed of cat due to its large size, long silky fur and its calm and gentle nature. The Maine Coon is an intelligent and affectionate breed of cat that loves to be active and to be around humans and other animals.
The Maine Coon is a very large breed cat, often double the size of other domestic cat breeds. The Maine Coon is thought to be so big due to its supposedly larger wild ancestors.View all 35 animals that start with M
1. David Burnie, Dorling Kindersley (2011) Animal, The Definitive Visual Guide To The World's Wildlife
2. Tom Jackson, Lorenz Books (2007) The World Encyclopedia Of Animals
3. David Burnie, Kingfisher (2011) The Kingfisher Animal Encyclopedia
4. Richard Mackay, University of California Press (2009) The Atlas Of Endangered Species
5. David Burnie, Dorling Kindersley (2008) Illustrated Encyclopedia Of Animals
6. Dorling Kindersley (2006) Dorling Kindersley Encyclopedia Of Animals