November 8, 2019
AZ Animals Staff
Mastiff Physical Characteristics:Lifespan: 12 years
Weight: 86kg (190lbs)
The Mastiff breed is a combination of dignity and courage; calm and affectionate to its master, but capable of protection. This particular mastiff-type breed is an extremely capable guard. If an unfamiliar person approaches near their perceived territory or its master, the Mastiff will immediately position itself between its master and the stranger.
If the approaching person does not back down, they take immediate defensive action. It is because of this instinctive behaviour that English Mastiffs have earned themselves a spot in the world's top 5 guard dogs.
The breed is innately good natured, calm, easygoing, and surprisingly gentle. It is a well-mannered house pet but needs sufficient room for exercise and activity. The Mastiff is an extremely loyal breed, exceptionally devoted to its family and good with children.
1. David Burnie, Dorling Kindersley (2011) Animal, The Definitive Visual Guide To The World's Wildlife
2. Tom Jackson, Lorenz Books (2007) The World Encyclopedia Of Animals
3. David Burnie, Kingfisher (2011) The Kingfisher Animal Encyclopedia
4. Richard Mackay, University of California Press (2009) The Atlas Of Endangered Species
5. David Burnie, Dorling Kindersley (2008) Illustrated Encyclopedia Of Animals
6. Dorling Kindersley (2006) Dorling Kindersley Encyclopedia Of Animals