Tibetan Mastiff Facts
Most widely used name for this species
The area where the animal first came from
How long (L) or tall (H) the animal is
The measurement of how heavy the animal is
How long the animal lives for
The domestic group such as cat or dog
Tibetan Mastiff Location
Map of Asia
Tibetan MastiffThe Tibetan mastiff was originally bred in the Himalayan mountains to be used to a guard dog for flocks of goat, sheep and cows against hunters and natural hunters such as the Asian black bear and even tigers.
There Tibetan mastiff flock guard and the English bred Tibetan mastiff differ enormously in their temperament. The Tibetan guard dog is more aggressive and much more assertive making them hard to train. The English bred Tibetan mastiff is well known for its quiet and relaxed personality, while being a good guard dog and loyal to its family.
View all 21 animals that start with T.
View printer friendly version of Tibetan Mastiff article.
Learn how you can use or cite the Tibetan Mastiff article in your website content, school work and other projects.
First Published: 11th November 2008, Last Updated: 10th September 2018
1. David Burnie, Dorling Kindersley (2008) Illustrated Encyclopedia Of Animals [Accessed at: 11 Nov 2008]
2. David Burnie, Kingfisher (2011) The Kingfisher Animal Encyclopedia [Accessed at: 01 Jan 2011]
3. Dorling Kindersley (2006) Dorling Kindersley Encyclopedia Of Animals [Accessed at: 11 Nov 2008]
4. Richard Mackay, University of California Press (2009) The Atlas Of Endangered Species [Accessed at: 01 Jan 2009]
5. Tom Jackson, Lorenz Books (2007) The World Encyclopedia Of Animals [Accessed at: 11 Nov 2008]