October 7, 2020
AZ Animals Staff
Saint Bernard Facts:
Common Name: Saint Bernard
Saint Bernard Physical Characteristics:Skin Type: Hair
Lifespan: 10 years
Weight: 91kg (200lbs)
St. Bernards are gentle, friendly, and generally fond of children. It is strikingly similar to that of the English Mastiff, since it was used to redevelop that breed when it was near extinction after World War II.
Extremely loyal, this breed is eager to please its owners but due to its size, it is essential that proper training and socialization begin early in life while the dog is still a manageable size. An unruly St Bernard presents a problem for even a strong adult so control needs to be asserted from the beginning.
St Bernards will bark at strangers and their size makes them good deterrents against most intruders although their aggression as guard dogs rarely equals breeds designed for that purpose.View all 63 animals that start with S
1. David Burnie, Dorling Kindersley (2011) Animal, The Definitive Visual Guide To The World's Wildlife
2. Tom Jackson, Lorenz Books (2007) The World Encyclopedia Of Animals
3. David Burnie, Kingfisher (2011) The Kingfisher Animal Encyclopedia
4. Richard Mackay, University of California Press (2009) The Atlas Of Endangered Species
5. David Burnie, Dorling Kindersley (2008) Illustrated Encyclopedia Of Animals
6. Dorling Kindersley (2006) Dorling Kindersley Encyclopedia Of Animals