November 8, 2019
AZ Animals Staff
Bearded Collie Facts:
Training: Should be trained from an early age and respond well to harsh techniques
Average Litter Size: 7
Slogan: Weekly brushing is mandatory!
Bearded Collie Physical Characteristics:Colour: White, Black, Brown, Tan, Grey
The Bearded Collie ranks 104 out of 155 breeds in popularity in the United States, according to the American Kennel Club's yearly publishing of breed rankings.
A Bearded Collie is best obtained from a reputable dog breeder or a dog rescue, not from a pet store situation where dogs are bred specifically for profit. Bearded Collies make excellent pets for those who are willing to accommodate their high energy level and grooming requirements.
Weekly brushing is mandatory for keeping their long hair mat-free. Some Bearded Collie owners opt to keep their pets in a puppy cut haircut, which does reduce the need for brushing, but does not eliminate it. Bearded Collies are a very high energy breed, originally bred to work in the Scottish Highlands herding sheep.
Beardies also excel at dog agility trials. They also prefer to be kept indoors with their families.
1. David Burnie, Dorling Kindersley (2011) Animal, The Definitive Visual Guide To The World's Wildlife
2. Tom Jackson, Lorenz Books (2007) The World Encyclopedia Of Animals
3. David Burnie, Kingfisher (2011) The Kingfisher Animal Encyclopedia
4. Richard Mackay, University of California Press (2009) The Atlas Of Endangered Species
5. David Burnie, Dorling Kindersley (2008) Illustrated Encyclopedia Of Animals
6. Dorling Kindersley (2006) Dorling Kindersley Encyclopedia Of Animals