October 4, 2020
AZ Animals Staff
Australian Shepherd Facts:
Training: Should be trained from an early age and they are easy to train but it takes time
Average Litter Size: 7
Slogan: Sweet, faithful and affectionate!
Group: Herd Dog
Australian Shepherd Physical Characteristics:Colour: Brown, Grey, Red, Black, Tan
Skin Type: Hair
The Aussie breed is an energetic dog that requires exercise and mental stimulation to be happy and to avoid becoming destructive. They need a minimum of 20 min hard running twice per day. Aussies love working, whether it is herding livestock, performing tricks, competing in dog agility, or any other canine sport. They do exceptionally well in frisbee catching competition, and they love to retrieve items from water.
Aussies want to accompany their favorite humans and see and do whatever you are doing. After sufficient exercise they enjoy being couch potatoes. It is usually a sweet and affectionate dog which is faithful to its owners and great with children if raised with them. They typcially are friendly with the owner's friends and family that they see often but protective when strangers are around. Socialization from puppyhood is necessary to get the very best from them.
Most Australian Shepherds make wonderful family dogs, provided there is a human pack leader to guide them. They generally get along with other dogs and are not quarrelsome.View all 54 animals that start with A
1. David Burnie, Dorling Kindersley (2011) Animal, The Definitive Visual Guide To The World's Wildlife
2. Tom Jackson, Lorenz Books (2007) The World Encyclopedia Of Animals
3. David Burnie, Kingfisher (2011) The Kingfisher Animal Encyclopedia
4. Richard Mackay, University of California Press (2009) The Atlas Of Endangered Species
5. David Burnie, Dorling Kindersley (2008) Illustrated Encyclopedia Of Animals
6. Dorling Kindersley (2006) Dorling Kindersley Encyclopedia Of Animals