The breed has a unique, cat-like gait, while females have a finer gait than males.
Fila Brasileiro Scientific Classification
- Scientific Name
- Canis lupus
Fila Brasileiro Conservation Status
Fila Brasileiro Locations
Fila Brasileiro Facts
- Name Of Young
- Fun Fact
- The breed has a unique, cat-like gait, while females have a finer gait than males.
- Other Name(s)
- Brazilian Mastiff and Brazilian Molosser
- Intense and loyal
- Litter Size
- 2-5 puppies
- Common Name
- Fila Brasileiro
Fila Brasileiro Physical Characteristics
- Light Grey
- Skin Type
- Top Speed
- 36 mph
- 9-12 years
Fila Brasileiro as a Pet:
- General Health
- Energy Level
- Tendency to Chew
- Family and kid friendliness
- Yappiness / Barking
- Seperation Anxiety
- Preferred Temperature
- Warm climate
- Exercise Needs
- Friendly With Other Dogs
- Pure bred cost to own
- Dog group
- Male weight
- - lbs
- Female weight
- - lbs
Fila Brasileiro Images
Click through all of our Fila Brasileiro images in the gallery.
The Fila Brasileiro is a rare, large dog breed also known as the Brazilian Mastiff or Brazilian Molosser. Its original purpose was to catch runaway slaves when slavery was legal in Brazil. It has also been used on ranches and plantations as a cattle dog, guard dog, tracking dog, and dangerous game catching dog as well as in military service. With an excellent tracking ability, intelligence, courage, and a loyal, affectionate, docile, protective temperament, it is a unique companion animal as well as a working or hunting dog.
See all of our expert product reviews.
The Different Types of Fila Brasileiro and Fila Brasileiro Mixes
There is only one type of Fila Brasileiro. It has a short, smooth coat and can be fawn, black, brindle, or light grey colors with or without a black mask, while white is rare. A variety of coat colors and patterns are acceptable. The original Brazilian Mastiff comes from Brazil, but Fila Brasileiro mixes are from the United States. Some examples of Fila Brasileiro mixes have one parent that is a Bloodhound-Mastiff crossbreed, Neopolitan Mastiff, English Mastiff, or a Great Dane. A Fila Brasileiro mix can be larger, healthier, have a longer life span than the original Brazilian Mastiff.
3 pros and cons of owning a Fila Brasileiro!
|Very loyal: “Faithful as a Fila” is an old saying in Brazil. It perfectly describes the extreme loyalty of this breed.||Banned in some countries: This breed is very protective of its owner. It’s distrusting of strange people and dogs, and without proper socialization, it can attack, although not fatally. It is banned in some countries. Even if you’re allowed to have it, your homeowner’s insurance policy might be canceled because of it, and people are more likely to sue if your dog does anything at all questionable. It gets along with other dogs in hunting packs, but because it has a strong prey drive and the modern lines have more aggression towards other dogs and animals, it’s not recommended to keep this breed in your house with another dog, especially a smaller dog, or a cat.|
|Protectiveness: If you’re looking for a guard dog, you couldn’t ask for a better breed. Its large size and calm and quiet demeanor can change to athletic agility and speed in an instant.||Health issues: Irresponsible breeders have increased the likelihood of hip and elbow dysplasia in this breed, crippling the dog and costing owners thousands of dollars in pain medications and surgeries.|
|A temperament, unlike any other breed: How it treats strange people and animals, depends on genetics and socialization. But although it should be generally trusting and friendly, it is natural to be more discriminating with age.||Messiness: Not only does this breed shed despite its short fur, but it also drools and slobbers. It can also be prone to gassiness, especially without a natural raw diet.|
Size and Weight
The Fila Brasileiro is a large short hair dog with a height of 25 to 30 inches for males and 23 to 28 inches for females. Its weight is 90-180lbs with an average of 141 to 181 for the male fully grown and 125 to 161 for the female fully grown. Puppies weigh an average of 20 pounds at 12 weeks and reach full maturity around 19 to 24 months.
|Height (male):||25-30 inches|
|Height (female):||23-28 inches|
|Weight (male):||141-181 pounds, fully grown|
|Weight (female):||125-161 pounds, fully grown|
Common Health Issues
The Fila Brasileiro has a lifespan of 9 to 12 years. It is generally a very healthy breed that is not prone to any particular health issues; however, irresponsible breeders have made it susceptible to hip and elbow dysplasia. It also has a risk of cancer. Like many large breeds with a deep chest, it runs a risk of having gastric torsion (bloat), which is a life-threatening condition. In short, the most common issues a Fila Brasileiro can face are:
- Joint dysplasia (hip or elbow)
- Gastric torsion (bloat)
The temperament of the Fila Brasileiro is affectionate, serene, loyal, intense, and protective, with a determined, courageous, confident, and hardy personality. Its behavior is impulsive, independent, and stubborn with a natural tendency to being a guard dog, and detached and suspicious of strangers. For this reason, it can engage in sudden attacks, especially if not socialized properly. But although it was developed as a hunting dog, it catches or seizes without serious harm. In Brazil, it is said to have ojeriza, or distrust towards strangers.
How To Take Care of a Fila Brasileiro
The Fila Brasileiro has unique health needs. Whether it’s to control shedding, its physical features, or dietary needs, the breed has its own regimen of care that prospective owners should consider.
Health and Entertainment for your Fila Brasileiro
See all of our expert product reviews.
Food and Diet
The Fila Brasileiro is a large breed of dog with a deep chest and massive bulk. It can be quite athletically agile and move quickly. Its diet can make a huge difference in its health and lifespan, so prospective owners should choose a dog food that fits the breed, its size, age, and nutritional needs.
Fila Brasileiro puppy food: Your Fila Brasileiro puppy needs a large breed puppy formula. It must be rich in protein and specifically for puppies until it reaches 18 to 24 months of age. Do not overfeed your puppy, which can result in excessively rapid development or weight gain and health issues down the line.
Fila Brasileiro adult dog food: This breed is prone to gassiness (flatulence), but you can cut down on this issue if you choose a natural raw diet, but any premium grain-free large breed adult dog food is enough. Once your dog has reached full maturity, you can feed it one large bowl a day or two smaller bowls of food. Do not overfeed to avoid gastric torsion (bloat).
Maintenance And Grooming
The Fila Brasileiro is a shedder in spite of its short fur. However, you can control it with brushing at least once a week and monthly bathing, plus a soft grooming glove in the meantime. No particular grooming for the breed is necessary other than what is common for dogs, including the trimming of claws, and cleaning of ears, eyes, and teeth.
The Fila Brasileiro puppy needs to have training and socialization as early as possible. That’s because it has an independent and stubborn temperament. The best trainer has a gentle but firm and consistent attitude, which will help to restrain the breed’s impulsive tendency. It will also help to avoid separation anxiety, which is a tendency that results from the breed’s need to be part of a pack, and destructive tendencies resulting from boredom or isolation. Early crate training during puppyhood has many benefits.
The Fila Brasileiro can be quite playful and outgoing. However, it only needs a moderate level of exercise. It especially enjoys having jobs to do. It needs to have a large backyard to run around in.
Fila Brasileiro puppies don’t need exercise other than their own spontaneous playfulness. Five minutes per month of age is enough.
Fila Brasileiro And Children
It’s not recommended to have an adult Fila Brasileiro with children, especially in isolation. However, it is different when it’s a puppy. Early socialization with children can make it used to them and not engage in attacks from horseplay and perceiving them as threatening “their” children, the owner.
Dogs similar to a Fila Brasileiro
Some examples of dog breeds that are similar to Fila Brasileiro are Neopolitan mastiffs, bulldogs, and Great Danes.
- English Mastiff: One of the Fila Brasileiro’s ancestors, it is the English version of the breed.
- Bloodhound: Another of the Fila Brasileiro’s ancestors, it is famous for being a scenthound with excellent tracking ability.
- Great Dane: The Fila Brasileiro in the past was sometimes crossed with Great Danes to achieve a larger size. It is also called the German Mastiff.
Famous Fila Brasileiro
Ama, short for Amazon, was a female born in Itanhandu kennel. She developed a reputation for breeding healthy, original Fila Brasileiro puppies
Popular Names for Fila Brasileiro
Fila Brasileiro FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What is a Fila Brasileiro?
It is a large, rare breed of working dog from Brazil.
Why are Fila Brasileiro banned?
It is banned in some countries due to engaging in attacks towards strange people and dogs.
How fast is a Fila Brasileiro?
It can run up to 35 miles per hour.
How much does a Fila Brasileiro cost?
The average price of a Fila Brasileiro puppy is anywhere from $1,500 to 2,000 with a top-quality dog have a price of $2,500 and above. The final price depends on age, color, and other factors such as whether the owner needs to import it into the country.
How long does a Fila Brasileiro live?
The average life span is 9 to 12 years.
- Wikipedia, Available here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fila_Brasileiro
- Harakhan Kennel, Available here: https://harakhankennel.com/our-dogs/fila-brasileiro-mix-breeding/
- MyDogBreeds, Available here: https://www.mydogbreeds.com/mixed-vs-fila-brasileiro
- PetGuide.com, Available here: https://www.petguide.com/breeds/dog/fila-brasileiro/
- Dog Breed Info, Available here: https://www.dogbreedinfo.com/hybridcrossbreeds/filabrasileiromixdogs.htm
- the sprucePets, Available here: https://www.thesprucepets.com/fila-brasileiro-dog-breed-profile-5084446
- yourpurebredpuppy, Available here: https://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/filabrasileiro.html
- unbelievable facts, Available here: https://unbelievable-facts.com/2021/04/dangerous-banned-dogs.html/2
- dogsplanet.com, Available here: https://www.dogsplanet.com/en/breeds/fila-brasileiro/
- belpatt, Available here: https://en.belpatt.fr/puppy-weight-chart/Fila-Brasileiro
- thedogvisitor.com, Available here: https://thedogvisitor.com/what-food-is-best-for-a-puppy-fila-brasileiro-in-herzegovina
- Pet ID Register, Available here: https://petidregister.com/fila-brasileiro/how-much-exercise-a-fila-brasileiro-needs/
- Dog-Learn, Available here: https://www.dog-learn.com/dog-breeds/fila-brasileiro/
- kidadl, Available here: https://kidadl.com/animal-facts/fila-brasileiro-facts
- cutiepet, Available here: https://thecutiepet.com/fila-brasileiro-popularity-price-lifespan-origin-colors-temperament/
- PetHelpful, Available here: https://pethelpful.com/dogs/latin-dog-names-for-a-fila-brasileiro
- vetSTREET, Available here: http://www.vetstreet.com/dogs/fila-brasileiro
- Black River Bullmastiffs (1970) http://www.blackriverbullmastiffs.com/newsDetail.php?Dog-Separation-Anxiety-and-What-You-Can-Do-To-Help-36 Jump to top