September 22, 2020
AZ Animals Staff
Yorkshire Terrier Facts:
Yorkshire Terrier Physical Characteristics:Lifespan: 15 years
Weight: 3kg (7lbs)
Although a toy breed, the Yorkie still retains much of its terrier ancestry in terms of personality. Individual dogs will differ, but they are generally intelligent, independent and courageous. Yorkshire Terriers are quick to determine where they fit in a household's pack. Their behaviour towards outsiders will vary, they often will be inclined to bark at strangers, but some Yorkies are outgoing and friendly towards new people while others are withdrawn and aloof.
The differences in behaviour in this regard are largely based on how the owner trains or conditions (and socializes) the Yorkie. A few individual Yorkshire Terriers may be timid or nervous, rather than bold, but the vast majority do seem to meet the breed standard for a confident, vigorous and self-important personality.
The Yorkshire Terrier seems oblivious to its small size. It is ever eager for adventure. This little dog is highly energetic, brave, loyal, and clever, with above average intelligence. Affectionate with its master, it can become suspicious of strangers and aggressive to strange dogs and small animals, if not properly socialized.View all 3 animals that start with Y
1. David Burnie, Dorling Kindersley (2011) Animal, The Definitive Visual Guide To The World's Wildlife
2. Tom Jackson, Lorenz Books (2007) The World Encyclopedia Of Animals
3. David Burnie, Kingfisher (2011) The Kingfisher Animal Encyclopedia
4. Richard Mackay, University of California Press (2009) The Atlas Of Endangered Species
5. David Burnie, Dorling Kindersley (2008) Illustrated Encyclopedia Of Animals
6. Dorling Kindersley (2006) Dorling Kindersley Encyclopedia Of Animals