American Pit Bull Terrier
September 22, 2020
AZ Animals Staff
American Pit Bull Terrier Facts:
Temperament: Stubborn yet obedient
Average Litter Size: 8
Common Name: American Pit Bull Terrier
Slogan: A strong-willed, sturdy companion!
American Pit Bull Terrier Physical Characteristics:Colour: Black, White, Tan, Brown
The American Pit Bull Terrier is a strong-willed, sturdy companion. It is a breed that is loyal to friends and family, and friendly to strangers. With guidance from its handlers, American Pit Bull Terriers are obedient and show a high desire to please. However, when left without direction they can become stubborn and may become aggressive. According to a study done by CDC , American Pit Bull Terriers account for the majority of fatalities in the US among all breeds. During the years 1979 - 1996, 60 people have been killed by American Pit Bull Terriers. The breed with the next highest fatalities is the Rottweiler with 29.
A well bred American Pit Bull Terrier should have a stable and dependable temperament. The American Temperament Testing Society shows a pass percentage of 84.3% for American Pit Bull Terrier, a 0.2% higher passing rate than the commonly considered 'family dogs' such as Golden Retrievers.
However, a firm, even hand and early obedience training are strongly recommended for this breed. They generally have a lot of energy and high prey drive. They need exercise and stimulation in order to channel their energy properly and not become frustrated, bored, and destructive.View all 54 animals that start with A
1. David Burnie, Dorling Kindersley (2011) Animal, The Definitive Visual Guide To The World's Wildlife
2. Tom Jackson, Lorenz Books (2007) The World Encyclopedia Of Animals
3. David Burnie, Kingfisher (2011) The Kingfisher Animal Encyclopedia
4. Richard Mackay, University of California Press (2009) The Atlas Of Endangered Species
5. David Burnie, Dorling Kindersley (2008) Illustrated Encyclopedia Of Animals
6. Dorling Kindersley (2006) Dorling Kindersley Encyclopedia Of Animals