“Wow, cool dog!” Always a nice compliment, but you already know your dog is cool, right? But “cool” is a relative term, so we had to look at several cool factors when looking at the coolest dog. Check out our list of the coolest dog breeds.
Coolest Tiny Dogs
If you are looking for a dog that makes a cool statement, you have to look for a cool dog to tote around in your purse, bag, or dog stroller. These tiny dog breeds are fashionable and furry at the same time.
- Teacup Chihuahua: The tiniest of dogs, the teacup Chihuahua is not a separate breed but a small version of the Chihuahua. Chihuahuas are the smallest dogs, just 5-8 inches tall and not more than 6 pounds heavy. Teacup Chihuahuas are just a little smaller. They look pretty cool in sequined purses.
- Toy Poodle: Toy poodles are just a tad bigger than Chihuahuas at 8-10 inches at the shoulder and 4-6 pounds. They have one of the longest life spans of 10-18 years!
- Yorkshire Terrier: Yorkies are one of the most popular dog breeds. Some have long flowing hair that owners will often tie up in bows, while others sport a shorter coat. Their bodies are typically blackish brown with rust-colored heads and paws. Yorkies only get to be about 7-8 inches tall and weigh around 7 pounds.
- Maltese: The same size as Yorkies, Maltese have long, floor-length hair. These white pups are outgoing and playful, making them great pets.
- Shih Tzu: These dogs can also have floor-length hair and are frequently bi-colored with white and tan silky fur, but they come in a variety of colors. Shih Tzus are little dogs that are good with kids and are also good with other dogs as well.
Coolest Big (Really Big) Dogs
- English Mastiff: The largest dog ever (longest and heaviest) according to the Guinness Book of World Records was a male Old English Mastiff named Zorba. He tipped the scales at 345 pounds and was 8 feet and 3 inches long.
- Great Dane: The tallest dog in the world was a Great Dane named Zeus, who was 3 feet and 5.18 inches tall! He reportedly ate 15 pounds of dog food every week!
- Bernese Mountain Dog: Berners are large solid dogs weighing 80-115 pounds. Their coloration is a black back, rust paws, and a white chest. These dogs are good cold-weather dogs with their thick coat.
- Saint Bernard: These dogs have a similar build as Bernese Mountain dogs but a different coloration. Their backs are a rust color with white legs and paws. Their large head is dark brown with white markings. The movie “Beethoven” stars a rambunctious Saint Bernard that gets into a lot of mischief.
- Tibetan Mastiff: Mastiffs, in general, are big dogs, but the Tibetan Mastiff is big and fluffy, with its massive hair making it look much bigger. Tibetan Mastiffs were originally used as powerful guard dogs in the Himalayas, but they can be gentle pets.
- Great Pyrenees: These large white dogs can get to be 32 inches tall at the shoulder, which is almost three feet! They were bred to ward-off wolves to protect sheep in the chilly mountains. Their thick coat of fur is also waterproof. Now that is one cool dog!
Dogs with the Coolest Hair
- Afghan Hound: Afghan Hounds have long silky hair that is almost human-like. Their hair grows long all over their body and is a variety of colors of black, tan, or mixed (brindle).
- Old English Sheepdog: These are the dogs with hair that covers their eyes, like the dog from Disney’s Shaggy Dog movie.
- Puli: The fur on the Puli looks like they are made of a mop. Their corded fur is wooly, thick, and waterproof, which was helpful when they were used as herding dogs originally in Hungary.
- Doberman Pinscher: These dogs were originally bred as guard dogs, so it is in their blood. They can out chase an intruder because they can run up to 32 miles an hour.
- Rottweiler: If you give your Rottweiler a spiked collar, it will definitely increase their cool factor. Rottweilers sometimes get a bad rap, but much of a dog’s behavior has to do with how they are cared for and how they are trained.
- German Shepherd: These dogs are intelligent and are eager to please their owner. They are often used as police dogs or military dogs.
- Golden Retriever/Labrador Retriever: Retrievers are among the most popular dogs in the United States. They are friendly dogs that are easy to train and also good with kids. It makes sense why they are such cool dogs.
- Goldendoodle/Labradoodle: These retriever-poodle mixes have become very popular in the past decade. One of the benefits is that some are hypoallergenic and shed less than the pure retriever breeds.
- Papillon: Papillons are among the easiest dogs to train. Their easy-going temperament and eagerness to please personality make them loving companions. You can recognize them by their characteristically long-haired large ears.
- Cavalier King Charles Spaniel: A popular pet, the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is easy-going and very friendly.
- Basset Hound: Basset Hounds make great family pets and are also good with kids.
Coolest Fluffy Dog
- Samoyed: One of the fluffiest dogs in the world, the Samoyed is all white. It is a cute fluff ball as a puppy and a big fluffball as an adult. Samoyeds have a double-thick coat that helped keep them warm in Siberia, where they are from.
- Bichon Frise: Another fluffy white dog, but much smaller than a Samoyed, the Bichon Frise is only about 9-11 inches at the shoulder. If you see one in a dog show, you will see their head looks like a giant cotton ball. Very cool!
- Pomeranian: These cool little dogs are super fluffy and almost look like they have a beard. They can be a rusty color with a white beard or all white.
- American Eskimo Dog (Eskie): Eskies look similar to Samoyeds with their fluffy white fur and cute curled tails. They are bred in three different sizes, including the 9-inch Toy Eskie and the 19-inch standard.
- Australian Shepherd Puppies: Australian Shepherds are born with stunning blue eyes. When they get older, their eyes usually change to a more common brown, but some remain blue. Some Aussies will have two different colored eyes!
Coolest Looking in a Sweater
- Chihuahua: I know we already mentioned the Chihuahua, but they win the prize for looking the coolest in a sweater. Well, maybe it is a tie with the Chinese Crested Dog.
- Chinese Crested: There are two kinds of Chinese Crested dogs; one is hairless, which makes for the case that a sweater actually makes sense. Although their bodies are hairless, they can grow long locks of hair on their head, paws, and tail.
Coolest Looking Faces
- French Bulldog: Bulldogs have the turned-up nose and wrinkly face that many love. French Bulldogs are smaller than English Bulldogs and weigh about half as much as the English ones.
- English Bulldog: These Bulldogs are short and stocky, making them a favorite for some dog lovers. They frequently have an underbite, with their bottom teeth poking through, ready for a cool dog selfie.
- Pug: How can you resist a cute little pug with a scrunched-up face and big eyes? Pugs are mostly tan with dark brown muzzles and ears. They may look super cute, but they have a reputation for being a bit mischievous.
- Bullmastiff: Bullmastiffs almost look like giant pugs. They have tan fur with a dark brown face as well and can get up to 130 pounds. These dogs are a mix of Bulldog (where they get their wrinkly face) and Mastiff (where they get their size).
- Shar-Pei: These are your classic wrinkle dogs. Their faces are super cool, but the wrinkles just keep going all over their bodies. Their genetic make-up makes them have extra wrinkly skin, especially as puppies!
Most Unique-Looking Cool Dogs
- Borzoi: These are elegant-looking dogs with fine long fur and a small pointed head. Pronounced “bor-zoy,” these dogs have long legs and can stand 28 inches at the shoulder. They can run 35-40 miles per hour!
- American Hairless Terrier: There are only a few hairless dog breeds, but the American Hairless Terrier is definitely one of the coolest. These dogs look like large Chihuahuas but are bred from the Rat Terrier family. They are 12-16 inches at the shoulder and, unlike Chinese Crested Dogs that have furry hair on their head, paws and tail, have no hair.
- Bedlington Terrier: These terriers are the opposite of American Hairless Terriers and seem to have extra hair growing on their head. For show, they are given a cut that leaves the fur on the head full and fluffy and can include two puffballs at the end of each dangling ear.
- Chow Chow: The Chow Chow actually fits in a lot of these cool dog categories. It is a fluffy dog, and it has one of the coolest scrunchy faces. Chow Chows are medium-sized dogs that can get to be 70 pounds, although it looks like most of that is fur!
- Dachshund: Two words…Wiener-Dog. Dachshunds are classic cool dogs with bodies way too long for their heads. Their short little legs move double-time to get around. Now, that’s one cool little dog!
Ready to discover the top 10 cutest dog breeds in the entire world?
How about the fastest dogs, the largest dogs and those that are -- quite frankly -- just the kindest dogs on the planet? Each day, AZ Animals sends out lists just like this to our thousands of email subscribers. And the best part? It's FREE. Join today by entering your email below.
More from A-Z Animals
The Featured Image
Thank you for reading! Have some feedback for us? Contact the AZ Animals editorial team.