November 2, 2020
AZ Animals Staff
- Common Name
- Uncommon outside of Europe!
Drever Physical Characteristics
- Skin Type
- 14 years
- 15kg (33lbs)
The Drever has a lot of stamina, and has become a popular hunting hound for deer hunters in northern Norway, Sweden, and Finland (in Finland drevers are not allowed in deer hunting yet, but it is used for hare and fox hunting). Roe deer are nervous quarry, and the hounds which are used to hunt them must move slowly, especially in areas where heavy snow can be expected in late autumn. Thus, the breeding of a dog with a medium-sized body but short legs has a practical application.
This breed is usually kept as a hunting hound and is not usually found as a companion animal. The Drever is alert and self-possessed, has an affable, even temperament, and is rarely overly aggressive or shy. The Drever is uncommon outside of Europe.View all 26 animals that start with D
- David Burnie, Dorling Kindersley (2011) Animal, The Definitive Visual Guide To The World's Wildlife
- Tom Jackson, Lorenz Books (2007) The World Encyclopedia Of Animals
- David Burnie, Kingfisher (2011) The Kingfisher Animal Encyclopedia
- Richard Mackay, University of California Press (2009) The Atlas Of Endangered Species
- David Burnie, Dorling Kindersley (2008) Illustrated Encyclopedia Of Animals
- Dorling Kindersley (2006) Dorling Kindersley Encyclopedia Of Animals