Not all birds are able to fly!
Bird Scientific Classification
Bird Conservation Status
- Main Prey
- Fruit, Spiders, Insects, Seeds
- Distinctive Feature
- Light, feathered body and beak
- 9cm - 300cm (4in - 118in)
- Forests and shrub land close to water
- Foxes, Birds, Wild dogs
- Favorite Food
- Average Clutch Size
- Not all birds are able to fly!
Bird Physical Characteristics
- Skin Type
- Top Speed
- 200 mph
- 1 - 100 years
- 0.002kg - 130kg (0.004lbs - 286lbs)
- 5cm - 270cm (2in - 106in)
Click through all of our Bird images in the gallery.
There are numerous species of bird found in a wide variety of habitats all around the world. Birds are one of the most thriving groups of animals on the planet as they generally have their habitat (the skies) to themselves.
Birds can be easily distinguished from other animals due to their sharp, pointed beaks, thin legs, wings and feathers covering their bodies. Although all bird species have wings, some are actually flightless animals that only use their wings for balance and not for flying. Where other birds, such as penguins, use their wings for swimming.
Birds are often omnivorous animals, generally eating nearly anything that they can find. Most species of bird survive on a diet primarily consisting on insects and plants such as fruits, nuts, berries and seeds.
Birds are also distinctive in the fact that they lay eggs in a similar way to other animal groups such as fish and reptiles. Birds often make nests in the trees or on the ground in which to lay their eggs.View all 81 animals that start with B
Bird FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Are Birds herbivores, carnivores, or omnivores?
Birds are Omnivores, meaning they eat both plants and other animals.
What Kingdom do Birds belong to?
Birds belong to the Kingdom Animalia.
What phylum do Birds belong to?
Birds belong to the phylum Chordata.
What class do Birds belong to?
Birds belong to the class Aves.
What type of covering do Birds have?
Birds are covered in Feathers.
In what type of habitat do Birds live?
Birds live in forests and shrub land close to water.
What is the main prey for Birds?
Birds prey on fruit, spiders, insects, and seeds.
What are some predators of Birds?
Predators of Birds include foxes, birds, and wild dogs.
What are some distinguishing features of Birds?
Birds have light, feathered bodies and beaks.
What is the average clutch size of a Bird?
Birds typically lay 5 eggs.
What is an interesting fact about Birds?
Not all birds are able to fly!
How to say Bird in ...
- David Burnie, Dorling Kindersley (2011) Animal, The Definitive Visual Guide To The World's Wildlife
- Tom Jackson, Lorenz Books (2007) The World Encyclopedia Of Animals
- David Burnie, Kingfisher (2011) The Kingfisher Animal Encyclopedia
- Richard Mackay, University of California Press (2009) The Atlas Of Endangered Species
- David Burnie, Dorling Kindersley (2008) Illustrated Encyclopedia Of Animals
- Dorling Kindersley (2006) Dorling Kindersley Encyclopedia Of Animals
- Christopher Perrins, Oxford University Press (2009) The Encyclopedia Of Birds