November 8, 2019
AZ Animals Staff
Distinctive Feature: Light, feathered body and beak
Wingspan: 9cm - 300cm (4in - 118in)
Habitat: Forests and shrub land close to water
Favorite Food: Fruit
Average Clutch Size: 5
Slogan: Not all birds are able to fly!
Bird Physical Characteristics:Colour: Brown, Grey, White, Black, Yellow, Red, Orange, Blue, Pink
Skin Type: Feathers
Top Speed: 200 mph
Lifespan: 1 - 100 years
Weight: 0.002kg - 130kg (0.004lbs - 286lbs)
Height: 5cm - 270cm (2in - 106in)
There are numerous species of bird found in a wide variety of habitats all around the world. Birds are one of the most thriving groups of animals on the planet as they generally have their habitat (the skies) to themselves.
Birds can be easily distinguished from other animals due to their sharp, pointed beaks, thin legs, wings and feathers covering their bodies. Although all bird species have wings, some are actually flightless animals that only use their wings for balance and not for flying. Where other birds, such as penguins, use their wings for swimming.
Birds are often omnivorous animals, generally eating nearly anything that they can find. Most species of bird survive on a diet primarily consisting on insects and plants such as fruits, nuts, berries and seeds.
Birds are also distinctive in the fact that they lay eggs in a similar way to other animal groups such as fish and reptiles. Birds often make nests in the trees or on the ground in which to lay their eggs.
How to say Bird in ...
1. David Burnie, Dorling Kindersley (2011) Animal, The Definitive Visual Guide To The World's Wildlife
2. Tom Jackson, Lorenz Books (2007) The World Encyclopedia Of Animals
3. David Burnie, Kingfisher (2011) The Kingfisher Animal Encyclopedia
4. Richard Mackay, University of California Press (2009) The Atlas Of Endangered Species
5. David Burnie, Dorling Kindersley (2008) Illustrated Encyclopedia Of Animals
6. Dorling Kindersley (2006) Dorling Kindersley Encyclopedia Of Animals
7. Christopher Perrins, Oxford University Press (2009) The Encyclopedia Of Birds