The name of the animal in science
The animal group that the species belongs to
What kind of foods the animal eats
How long (L) or tall (H) the animal is
The measurement of how heavy the animal is
The fastest recorded speed of the animal
How long the animal lives for
Whether the animal is solitary or sociable
SnakeThere are around 2,700 known species of snake worldwide, with the snake being found on every continent apart from the polar regions, where it is too cold for the snake.
The snake can grow anywhere from 10cm in length, to the enormous anaconda snake that can reach lengths of up to 30ft long! There are two ways that snakes kill their prey, either the snake has a poisonous bite or the snake will wrap itself around the prey to constrict it.
Most species of snake inhabiting colder regions in the Northern Hemisphere, will hibernate through the cold winter months. The snake tends to mate in the spring time.
View all 61 animals that start with S.
View printer friendly version of Snake article.
Learn how you can use or cite the Snake article in your website content, school work and other projects.
First Published: 8th November 2008, Last Updated: 24th January 2020
1. David Burnie, Dorling Kindersley (2008) Illustrated Encyclopedia Of Animals [Accessed at: 08 Nov 2008]
2. David Burnie, Kingfisher (2011) The Kingfisher Animal Encyclopedia [Accessed at: 01 Jan 2011]
3. Dorling Kindersley (2006) Dorling Kindersley Encyclopedia Of Animals [Accessed at: 08 Nov 2008]
4. Richard Mackay, University of California Press (2009) The Atlas Of Endangered Species [Accessed at: 01 Jan 2009]
5. Tom Jackson, Lorenz Books (2007) The World Encyclopedia Of Animals [Accessed at: 08 Nov 2008]